[SOLVED] Can a 4-pin (Molex) connector power a hard disk drive safely?

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
I built a computer for my father with an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and 8 GB of RAM recently; I'll call this computer the "Ryzen 3 PC". My father's old computer that has about 1 GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium D 805 recently stopped showing anything on screen; I will call this the "Pentium PC" for simplicity. Before that, the Pentium PC kept on showing thin grey horizontal lines on screen (but the monitor has no such issues when connected to other computers) so I guess it's an issue with the integrated graphics processing unit (iGPU) on the motherboard.
111b3677436b8887356e13a3c6c9a83c.jpg

I digress, I want to transfer the old Western Digital hard disk drive (can't remember the model name; "WD800..."?) from the Pentium PC to the Ryzen 3 PC. That old hard disk drive (HDD) has the ports shown above. As seen from the picture, this old HDD has a port/slot for a 4-pin (Molex) connector and one more port for a SATA cable. Can a 4-pin (Molex) connector cable from a power supply unit power a hard disk drive? Do I have to modify the 4-pin Molex connector in any way to prevent it from destroying the HDD (e.g. by large voltage)?

Last edited:
Solution
What operating system is currently on that drive if you don't mind me asking?

Regarding your original question though, if the psu has 4pin molex plugs it's fine to use. The hdd can use either.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
I was afraid that the SATA power connectors from the Ryzen 3 PC's power supply unit (PSU) are too short. I am thinking about using the 4-pin Molex connector to power the hard disk drive (HDD) as another option. I don't want to spend money to buy a 4-pin to two SATA splitter/adapter cable.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
What os is on this drive?

Better off start from scratch and reinstall Windows, more specifically, recommend Windows 10.

This old HDD has Windows XP Service Pack 3. I forgot to mention something. My father wants me to transfer files from this old HDD into the new HDD in the Ryzen 3 PC. I am afraid that trying to access any files in this old HDD through the Ryzen 3 PC will be difficult because of the obsolete OS.

USAFRet

Titan
This old HDD has Windows XP Service Pack 3. I forgot to mention something. My father wants me to transfer files from this old HDD into the new HDD in the Ryzen 3 PC. I am afraid that trying to access any files in this old HDD through the Ryzen 3 PC will be difficult because of the obsolete OS.
As a temporary secondary drive, that is no problem. Just don't try to actually boot from it.
That will not work.

The SATA power cables off the PSU should be plenty long enough.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Thank you for the answers friends. I shall try to move this old HDD to the Ryzen 3 PC and connect it with SATA connection soon. I shall update this thread if I get to access its files successfully in the Ryzen 3 PC.

I have only ever seen Western Digital do this, and they have always warned never to use both power connectors at the same time. There may be something to this too, as after a couple years they started covering the molex jack on these models with a very tightly fitting plastic block-off plate.

Up to around 10 years ago, I was always delighted to see such a drive when I needed a power cable only to find no SATA ones left. I remember when prying off the plate it would always sail all the way across the room and get lost. So yes, use either the molex or SATA power but not both.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
I have an update. My father persuaded me to make a connection between two computers. The SATA cable from one end (motherboard side) of the old HDD was connected to the motherboard in the Ryzen 3 PC. Both computers were turned on. I was able to access the files in the old HDD through the Ryzen 3 PC.

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
What operating system is currently on that drive if you don't mind me asking?
Windows XP Service Pack 3 is in the old HDD. It's alright, I could access the files in the old HDD through the Ryzen 3 PC. I connected the SATA cable from the old HDD to the Ryzen 3 PC's motherboard then turn both computers on.