[SOLVED] Can a CPU cooler be too heavy for my motherboard?

Walk3r_K

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
Hi folks,

This is my first PC build and I have a pretty dumb question; is it possible that my CPU cooler is too heavy for my motherboard? I have both in hand, and the cooler seems super heavy. I don't really see how my motherboard could withstand all that weight when hung on it's side;

The motherboard is an 'MSI Mag B560 Torpedo ATX LGA1200 motherboard' and my cooler is a 'Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo'

Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi folks,

This is my first PC build and I have a pretty dumb question; is it possible that my CPU cooler is too heavy for my motherboard? I have both in hand, and the cooler seems super heavy. I don't really see how my motherboard could withstand all that weight when hung on it's side;

The motherboard is an 'MSI Mag B560 Torpedo ATX LGA1200 motherboard' and my cooler is a 'Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo'

Many thanks in advance.
Could there be one? Yes. Is the Hyper 212 EVO too heavy? No. The back plate distributes the weight. Ensure you put all the screws into the standoffs to prevent warping.
The bigger issue builders face is the cooler too tall or does it provide clearance for tall RAM?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks,

Many thanks in advance.
Could there be one? Yes. Is the Hyper 212 EVO too heavy? No. The back plate distributes the weight. Ensure you put all the screws into the standoffs to prevent warping.
The bigger issue builders face is the cooler too tall or does it provide clearance for tall RAM?

Solution

Walk3r_K

Commendable
Feb 25, 2020
makes sense; is there anything else I can do to ensure this goes smoothly (how tight should i go?) thanks