Question Can a Delta 400 PSU power a rtx 2060?

Yurimio

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Hey guys and gals, hope you are all doing well! I recently came upon this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30aZWvvzF6M&t=354s
and was surprised by how he mentioned the 400 w psu can power a 1070 or even a 2060 (based on this video caption). I recently just purchased a z230 and I'm tempted to throw in a 2060. What do you guys think?

This is his description : The Z200 Workstation Series from HP... years later... is quite possibly one of the best old school prebuilts ever designed. While most people are shoving low TDP graphics cards in Optiplexes for good bang for buck PCs. The Z200 series workstations have a bigger powersupply in them, which means they are able to handle the likes of a GTX 1070, 5600 XT or even RTX 2060 Super.

I'm in awe. Is this really safe? Mind you, I'm only using an i5 4 gen and not a xeon.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A good 400watt can power even an rtx 2080ti, the wattage isnt the only thing that matters, because the rating(bronze,silver,gold,play,titan) is the main factor of a psu.
This is not very solid advice. See these links please:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm in awe. Is this really safe? Mind you, I'm only using an i5 4 gen and not a xeon.

The Delta units are .... Ok, in a lot of scenarios, although not necessarily 'good'.
With TYC, he warrants the builds he sells.... Wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them come back with PSU issues, given some of the poor quality units he's used. If/when that's the case, I wouldn't expect a video about it.

He acquires loads of PSUs along the way, and likely has a stock of multiple at any given time. The average user doesn't, so would be looking for a replacement if/when required.

It might 'work', sure... But for how long is the true question.

Since you already have it, no harm in trying (it's not a firehazard grade PSU), but set aside a budget for a new PSU for when the need arises.

bignastyid

Titan
The Delta units are .... Ok, in a lot of scenarios, although not necessarily 'good'.
With TYC, he warrants the builds he sells.... Wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them come back with PSU issues, given some of the poor quality units he's used. If/when that's the case, I wouldn't expect a video about it.

He acquires loads of PSUs along the way, and likely has a stock of multiple at any given time. The average user doesn't, so would be looking for a replacement if/when required.

It might 'work', sure... But for how long is the true question.

Since you already have it, no harm in trying (it's not a firehazard grade PSU), but set aside a budget for a new PSU for when the need arises.
What has me questioning the guy in the video was the use of adapters to power the GPU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
A good 400watt can power even an rtx 2080ti, the wattage isnt the only thing that matters, because the rating(bronze,silver,gold,play,titan) is the main factor of a psu.

I have an RTX 2080 Super with a Ryzen 3700X, the entire system pulls down 430w from the wall, meaning it would easily put a hurting on that 400w PSU. The 2080ti takes even more. Please don't pass on such dangerous advice here. Links have been shared above to help you for the future.

This is not very solid advice.

You're being too kind. It's incredibly, jaw droppingly bad advice, not founded in reality at all.

In REALITY, the efficiency rating, bronze, silver, gold, etc. is the LEAST important factor related to a PSU, UNLESS the PSU platform is ALREADY known to be a good one, and THEN, and ONLY then, might the efficiency rating be the primary reason why you'd choose between two units that both use the same underlying platform.