Question Can a GPU kill a PCI-E slot?

Apr 2, 2023
Hello! Today my friend asked me to try his video card as it won't give him any display after he turns on his computer. After i installed the GPU, and turned on my computer, the boot started to looping and restarted at GPU debug led. So i decided to put back my GPU, but the PC did the same. Next i put the gpu at the 2nd PCI-E slot, and the system started to booting. No matter what i do can't get the first PCI-E slot to working, so my question is, is it possible to a 1650 4GB GPU without power connector killed my PCI-E slot? probably i need to RMA the motherboard? btw sorry for bad English, i hope you guys get what i meant!
My specs:

The things i did to try fix my motherboard:
-Updated BIOS 3 different types, newer and older
-Disassembled everything reseating CPU and put it back together
-Take out the battery, and wait around 15 mins, (Cleared CMOS)

Motherboard: AMD X570 AORUS PRO (REV. 1.2)
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 5800X
Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2X16GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16
Cooler: BE QUIET! DARK ROCK PRO 4
GPU: MSI RADEON RX 570 GAMING X 4GB
PSU: FSP HYDRO G 850W

The GPU that possibly killed my PCI-E slot: ASUS Nvidia 1650 4GB (Without power connector, and 1 Fan product)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Updated BIOS 3 different types, newer and older
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

How old is the PSU in your build?

The GPU that possibly killed my PCI-E slot: ASUS Nvidia 1650 4GB (Without power connector, and 1 Fan product)
Did your friend tell what it was being powered by(meaning the PSU, board and CPU)?

Apr 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Updated BIOS 3 different types, newer and older
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard

Did your friend tell what it was being powered by(meaning the PSU, board and CPU)?

Thank you for the fast answer brother!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
Im currently running F36 bios, for the REV1.2 type

It's a 1 and a half year old PSU.

He using a MSI 970 Gaming motherboard, a FX 8350 CPU, and a Cooler Master MWE Bronze 600W PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
Go to F37a and then clear the CMOS as you've done prior, after you've verified that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version. Personally, I'd try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS, then press and hold down he power button to drain any residual power and then replace the CMOS after 30 mins. This should wipe all settings in BIOS.

Apr 2, 2023
Go to F37a and then clear the CMOS as you've done prior, after you've verified that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version. Personally, I'd try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS, then press and hold down he power button to drain any residual power and then replace the CMOS after 30 mins. This should wipe all settings in BIOS.

I did everything as you said, but now it's worse :D, before this, the gpu powered up for 1-3 seconds, then the fans stopped working, now doesn't even lights up. I Still can't belive, how can a little video card do this to a mid tier motherboard like this. i never going to buy AMD again!

Hey there,

So, when you cleared CMOS, did you do one of the following:

1. Press a bios clear CMOS button on the IO panel?
  2. You took the battery out, but without shorting the CMOS pins? Sometimes, this also works. You mobo supports both CMOS Clear button, and the pins to short. Try both.

This is very possibly not down to AMD at all, and more likely user error.

Apr 2, 2023
Hey there,

So, when you cleared CMOS, did you do one of the following:

1. Press a bios clear CMOS button on the IO panel?
  2. You took the battery out, but without shorting the CMOS pins? Sometimes, this also works. You mobo supports both CMOS Clear button, and the pins to short. Try both.
This is very possibly not down to AMD at all, and more likely user error.

I did both, cleared CMOS aswell, but nothing has changed, i think i RMA my mb, seems like nothing going to work out, i think it's fully dead

Okay, in that case, maybe there's not much else to do here. The RMA may work, but because you chose to put in the faulty GPU, you never know.

It's possible there's something shorting on that GPU, and by introducing it to your own system ahs cause damage to the PCIe slot. It's hard to tell, without being right in front of your PC.

Lesson learned : Don't put in parts to your PC to test, only as long as you are 100% sure there won't a problem for your system.

Apr 2, 2023
Okay, in that case, maybe there's not much else to do here. The RMA may work, but because you chose to put in the faulty GPU, you never know.

It's possible there's something shorting on that GPU, and by introducing it to your own system ahs cause damage to the PCIe slot. It's hard to tell, without being right in front of your PC.

Lesson learned : Don't put in parts to your PC to test, only as long as you are 100% sure there won't a problem for your system.

Yep i never do it again, thanks for the help!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I once had a tested a bad gpu on a cheap motherboard and it melted the pci slot and started a small flame/smoke

gpu was under warranty and was replace for free.
motherboard was under warranty but RMA was rejected because they claimed I must have been overclocking.

Apr 2, 2023
I once had a tested a bad gpu on a cheap motherboard and it melted the pci slot and started a small flame/smoke

gpu was under warranty and was replace for free.
motherboard was under warranty but RMA was rejected because they claimed I must have been overclocking.

Jesus, hope i get my money back, or a new MB, because i see 0 damage on the motherboard...