[SOLVED] Can a non PST fan be connected to a PST fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,
I was wondering if a non PST fan can be connected to a PST fan?
I dont mind if I dont get full controll but less cables would be a nice thing
For anyone wondering why dont i get more pst fans, one of my case fans died and I'm buying it to replace it
the PST thing really intrigued me and the price difference between non PST and PST is not a lot.
So if I get the function of connecting my existing working fan to it and have only one cable to the motherboard
I would spend a little more.

Last edited:

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Yes, you can connect a non-PWM fan (3-pin) to a PWM header (4-pin). Is that your question?

The non-PWM fan will run at 100%.
No, all my fans are pwm. PST is a way to daisy chain fans so that they all can be controlled individually using the motherboard. Only one fan connects to the motherboard, and the other fans connect to this main fan.
This is the fan I'm looking to buy https://www.arctic.ac/en/P14-PWM-PST/ACFAN00125A

EDIT:
Wait now I'm confused, so if I have a PWM fan that doesnt have PST and I connect it to the one with PST, will i be able to control it individually? or will it run at full speed?

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
That fan you linked is pwm so it will run the same speed as your pst fan as long as your pst fan is controlled by pwm. It would only run 100% if you plugged a 3 pin non pwm fan into a pst pwm controlled fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.