[SOLVED] Can an old Corsair VS650 White 80+ damage my hardware?

Aug 13, 2022
Recently found out that "White" tier power supply units are bad, don't last long and are prone to failure.

Due to inexperience, when I first assembled this setup 4 years ago, I bought the Corsair VS650's 2018 version, which was recommended by PC Part Picker's builds.

For context, I primarily use my PC for gaming, but I don't overclock, nor do anything that goes beyond default settings. I also use the Ryzen Balanced power plan and a surge suppressor multi power socket to avoid frying my PSU in case of blackouts.

I'm currently experiencing no PSU-related issues whatsoever; as far as gaming and working goes, the setup worked flawlessly for years.

However, given these fairly apocalyptic warnings, I now fear that the VS650 might suddenly break and damage my hardware.

Should I be worried that it might damage my hardware if and when it fails? In general, how would I know if a PSU is failing?

I'm looking at the Corsair RM 650X Gold 80+ as a potential replacement, but I prefer a "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" approach, especially since these gold tier PSUs are expensive.

System Configuration:
  • Operating System: Windows 11 (recently updated)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, no overclock
  • CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo (installed very recently)
  • GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX with E7B86AMS.H50 (11/07/2019) BIOS
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz (2x8), XMP enabled
  • PSU: Corsair VS650 (2018) 650 W
  • Monitor: BenQ GL2450
  • Case: Thermaltake V200 Tempered Glass (modded for proper airflow - front panel removed, mesh filter installed)
  • Fans:
    • 3x120mm Arctic P12 PWM PST CO intake front (installed very recently)
    • 1x120mm Thermaltake stock exhaust rear

Solution
The good thing for you is that your setup is not drawing anything close to 650W. That means your PSU is not under heavy load, and low quality PSUs are at most danger when they are used to maximum of their potential. So that is probably the reason you don't experience any PSU related problems even though its age (for this model) is advanced. I suppose you can keep using it but also you should start thinking about upgrading it in the future. And if you plan upgrading any components PSU upgrade would be mandatory IMO.
The good thing for you is that your setup is not drawing anything close to 650W. That means your PSU is not under heavy load, and low quality PSUs are at most danger when they are used to maximum of their potential. So that is probably the reason you don't experience any PSU related problems even though its age (for this model) is advanced. I suppose you can keep using it but also you should start thinking about upgrading it in the future. And if you plan upgrading any components PSU upgrade would be mandatory IMO.

Solution
Aug 13, 2022
Very informative reply, thanks a lot. I do plan to upgrade to an RTX 3060 Ti some time in the future, would a Corsair RM650x be enough or would it be safer to go for a 750 W PSU?

TRENDING THREADS