[SOLVED] Can any modern MoBo handle 125w TDP?

NexxOne_

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
Hi all,

So, I currently have an i7 11700 (with a TDP set to 65w, that's build into a prebuilt (worst choice of my life, but it was on sale) desktop. I was thinking of buying a aftermarktet cooler and set the TDP to 125w, which is what the i7-11700K is set to, with the app ThrottleStop (since I can't change it in the BIOS of my MoBo) to make it reach it's max boost frequency while gaming. Right now it only hits around 3.7ghz, while on all cores it should be able to run 4.4ghz (from what I've seen) and thus is throttling I assume. However, I'm very new to fooling around with TDP's and that kind of stuff, and I'm scared I'll mess up my PC while doing this. I heard that some motherboards have bad cooling, and can't handle upping the TDP too much. I have a Medion ECS B560H6-EM motherboard, which is a motherboard made by the manufacturer, which is Medion, of this prebuilt PC. Is there anyone who could help me out and maybe tell me whether this is a stupid idea, or if it's okay?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Kind regards

Solution
Your motherboard is not designed for 125wCPU!
The VRMs are basic with no heatsinks attached.
You have several threads on this topic in the forums.
Upping the power limit will cause the VRMs to overheat and throttle the CPU back down to what they can deliver.
No one here will tell you it is ok to up the power limit because it will probably end bad for you. Frying the VRMs and possible the processor too!

If you want more performance out of your processor you need to start by changing the very low end ECS motherboard.

NexxOne_

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
you don't have a 11700k cpu and want to just change the tdp and think that would give you 11700k performance?

why do you think people buy 11700k?
Hi! Thanks for your response. I know very little about this kind of stuff, so there is not much thinking of my own here. Someone else tipped me this on a forum and said the performance would be increased since now Throttlestop indicates the CPU is powerlimited. I upped the TDP to 80w already once and it indeed increased my performance and my clockspeed. Not sure what your message contributes to my question besides trying to make me feel stupid haha. As you can see I didn't mention thinking it would match the 11700k anywhere in my post, so not sure where you got that from. All I said is that the TDP of the 11700k runs 125w (like many other gaming CPU's), and that I wanted to use that as a benchmark.

Last edited:
Upping the power limit will cause the VRMs to overheat and throttle the CPU back down to what they can deliver.
No one here will tell you it is ok to up the power limit because it will probably end bad for you. Frying the VRMs and possible the processor too!

If you want more performance out of your processor you need to start by changing the very low end ECS motherboard.

Reactions: NexxOne_
Solution

NexxOne_

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021

Perfect! Thanks for responding and warning me before it was too late haha. That's all I needed to know. I will make sure I get a new motherboard in combination with the cooler then :)