Question Can anyone please tell me if this txt file or the lines in it are suspicious for being a virus?

Jul 15, 2019
Hello,

some guy sent me a txt file and I am getting kinda paranoid that it might contain a virus. I did some research in the web and figured out that txt files usually cannot contain viruses. Nevertheless I just wanted to get sure. I even changed the Windows settings to see the file endings, because I've read that some use these tricks to fool other people. My antivirus stated the file as not being a threat. The txt includes the following lines:

? ¦¦-¦¦-¬.......-TTT=T¬-=T=T==T=¬¦ ? ? ? ?
? ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦AnD¦¦¦¦¦¦L¦=¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦ ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ¦¦LLLL-.......L==¦=¦=¦=¦=¦¦¦¦=-O ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ¦? ? ? ? ? ?

Melin

Thank you in advance.

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
Hello,

some guy sent me a txt file and I am getting kinda paranoid that it might contain a virus. I did some research in the web and figured out that txt files usually cannot contain viruses. Nevertheless I just wanted to get sure. I even changed the Windows settings to see the file endings, because I've read that some use these tricks to fool other people. My antivirus stated the file as not being a threat. The txt includes the following lines:

Melin

Thank you in advance.
If you don’t like the file then just delete it. It looks like some retarded code, so just delete it

Hello,

Melin

Thank you in advance.
The | marks are likely pipe based delimiters for fields. This isn't likely code, but data. The ? could mean "not supplied", "not set", or "empty/NULL".

Is it hacker code? 99.9% not likely. If it were, it's non executable on it's own. Computers need a registered file type like .exe .com .js, etc to execute code. .TXT is not one of them. It is possible it is embedded with malformed data that causes a standard program to crash (Some modern viruses defeat anti viruses this way. Viruses attack the anti-virus with a malicious package that will be opened by the anti-virus scanner. The data is malformed in such a way it causes the anti-virus scanner to crash. (Likely a badly zipped file)) But the likelyhood of this happening on a small .txt is next to zero.

Last edited:
Stuff like this, if u must find out, DONT DOUBLE CLICK it, the dang thing may execute anyway, just right-click it and tell textedit to open it, and if looks garbage, is garbage.

Even people who u think u know, hackers can spoof senders' name and make it seem somebody u know is sending you stuff.

Backup-backup-backup. Ignore at your peril.