Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgonKhan

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
As the title says - can 3 bent pins on mobo (msi z170a pcmate) socket affect sound? My motherboard doesn't detect any sound device except hdmi. I have yet to try sound cards.

I already contacted MSI and my reseller, but the reseller is saying that bent pins - they don't care
and msi seems like they are going there too.

I do not know if the sound worked before I bent the pins.

Solution
It shouldn't, sound card is connected directly to chipset and not cpu, so you should have much more problems than just audio if it affects communication with chipset. But there is no way to know if it makes some problems without testing everything else connected to it. You can try correct those bend pins with tweezers if you are careful.

Mister_MO

Respectable
Jul 28, 2016
It shouldn't, sound card is connected directly to chipset and not cpu, so you should have much more problems than just audio if it affects communication with chipset. But there is no way to know if it makes some problems without testing everything else connected to it. You can try correct those bend pins with tweezers if you are careful.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Use a mechanical pencil, without the lead. Slide it over the end of the pin. Best way to straighten a pin.

Bent pins can affect anything, eventually, everything ties back to the cpu one way or another, either directly, through hardware or software.

More than likely there are settings default mute in windows or if it's front panel, often those can be turned off in the bios.

iamacow

Admirable
I would reinstall your audio drivers, Bent pins could affect the PCIE BUS, but that would be everything that is not running off the North Bridge, so video card and all SATA ports. So I doubt the bent pins are at fault.

CalgonKhan

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Ive tried everything i could with software so drivers are no go.
Neither back nor front works.
And the pins were taken care of by both watchmaker and the reseller rma support so i'm not gonna try to better them.

Mostly i'm just curious if I can fight for help with the sound problem, as it's weird that the only issue is not detecting sound devices - except hdmi on my gcard, and I'm 90% sure that a sound card would solve this.

CalgonKhan

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
in device manager there is only 2 - for display intel and some nvidia thats from the hdmi. I tried clean windows, then msi sound drivers, then clean windows cause of problems with hdds as theyre quite old and drivers from realtek. Though msi's drivers were realtek as well but i tried anyway

Aug 1, 2020
I have same issue too!
I have a ryzen 5 2600 with gigabyte ab-350 gaming 3 board. Only 1 pin was bent and while repairing it, the pin broke. The system is running fine without that but windows is not even detecting the on-board audio whatsoever. I have tried drivers on website's support page, realtek's website win 10-64 bit executable driver but both of them get installled but nothing gets detected. I tried adding a legacy device in device manager but no luck. Anyone on this forum could help me out.
When I went to the service center he installed Ryzen 2200G APU and the sound worked fine without even installing drivers manually(windows automatically detected the ports) and the windows version was 1803. I tried the same version at home but no luck even after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.