[SOLVED] Can existing multiple routers be converted into a mesh network?

imadarshkmr

Prominent
Feb 27, 2020
Can existing multiple routers be converted into a mesh network? I have a 3-floor building where the ethernet wire runs on each room of every floor. All wires are connected to a switch which is then connected to the main router. I don't face any problem when surfing the internet, as I am getting consistently equal speed in all my router(i have connected the wire coming from switch on wan port of the router and set dynamic IP as the internet option), but the only purpose I made my entire building wifi was to access my network resources spread across the floors. For eg. I have a wireless printer that I can access only when I am connected with the same router from which my printer is connected. The same way I have NVR's, Smart TVs, etc.

Solution
Are you running multiple routers or do you have them in AP mode?
This is the key question, which I suspect is your problem. Mesh is mostly a fancy marketing term to get people to buy new hardware. Ethernet connected AP have been the solution used by business since the beginning of wifi.

Almost any router can be used as a AP and many have a feature that does that. Everything will be on the same network without buying a new "mesh" router.

Simthaniel

Distinguished
May 9, 2016
I don’t believe there is any even remotely easy way to convert existing routers into a mesh network but I do believe there is a way to get your printer to connect with the entire local network rather than just that access point.

Are you running multiple routers or do you have them in AP mode?
This is the key question, which I suspect is your problem. Mesh is mostly a fancy marketing term to get people to buy new hardware. Ethernet connected AP have been the solution used by business since the beginning of wifi.

Almost any router can be used as a AP and many have a feature that does that. Everything will be on the same network without buying a new "mesh" router.

Solution