max_034

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hello,

I'm having trouble determining what's wrong with my PC with the following setup.

CPU: i7-4770k
GPU: XFX Rx 580
PSU: Rosewill Valens 700M
MB: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero
Memory: HyperX Fury 2x16GB DDR3 1866 MHz
Storage: 256GB Samsung SSD, 3 HDD drives

I hope I didn't miss anything important.

Now the issue. My original GPU (XFX R9 290 DD) started failing until one day it stopped working and nothing was displayed. I sent it in for warranty and it was replaced ( it took me about a a year to do this as I kept postponing it). After installing the new GPU everything started working. But when I run anything GPU intensive the display goes black and sometimes turns back on for a little and shuts off again. Sometimes I also get a color screen. I can still hear the sound and if I quit the program (alt+F4) the display turns back on. So IDK what the problem is. I did install the latest AMD driver with no luck. I bought a new PSU and I only plugged in the GPU for testing and it did the same thing. I was wondering if the motherboard got damaged. Additionally I ran a CPU benchmark and it runs fine, only issue is GPU.

It's certainty possible. Have you tried cleaning out the PCI-e slot with compressed air?

Given you have replaced PSU (The Rosewill is a good one) and you are getting different types of errors, then it could lean to the mobo.

When was last time you did an OS install? Sometimes the OS just gets corrupt, too many changes, updates, installs/un-installs, bad registries. It might be worth looking at doing that. I'm not saying right now, as it's possible it's hardware related, and I'd be edging that way anyway. But as a last resort it's worth considering.

max_034

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
It's certainty possible. Have you tried cleaning out the PCI-e slot with compressed air?

Given you have replaced PSU (The Rosewill is a good one) and you are getting different types of errors, then it could lean to the mobo.

When was last time you did an OS install? Sometimes the OS just gets corrupt, too many changes, updates, installs/un-installs, bad registries. It might be worth looking at doing that. I'm not saying right now, as it's possible it's hardware related, and I'd be edging that way anyway. But as a last resort it's worth considering.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not try to clean the slots but I did plug it into the three different slots and got the same result. I only used 2 slots with the previous one was I was asked to try a different slot before doing the RMA. I haven't reinstalled the OS but I did just upgrade windows 10 1511 to 1903 using the windows upgrade tool (not the update). I also attempted to do a clean install of the drivers by using DDU in safe mode.

Should I try to reinstall the OS? Could it be possible that the new GPU is faulty too? I just don't want to buy another LGA 1150 motherboard for around $130 when I can get a newer chipset for a similar price.

TRENDING THREADS