Can games get any more demanding than Crysis Warhead?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Crysis is nowhere near photorealsitic. In my view photorealistic means that you can't tell if you are playing a video game or not. It will be a lnog time before that ever happens. As such video cards need to get an awful lot faster yet.

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
edit. This was a dumb post. How about this:

what part of crysis should be most improved in crysis 2?

Me personally, it's A tie between textures and physics

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I share the same frustration of the OP. I think, with the shift towards console gaming, developers have de-prioritized creating cutting edge engines. Carmack has said as much about idTech 5 (specifically, that people could have gaming rigs with twice the power of current gen consoles, but it wouldn't matter because that's not what tech5 is oriented towards).

Almost 2 years after the release of Cryengine 2, however poorly coded it was, it is still the best graphical approximation of reality. I have to admit the Dunia engine was pretty impressive, but otherwise I would agree with the sentiment that hardware has pretty much surpassed what developers are doing for the PC.

I'm looking forward to the DX11 implementation of Frostbite and other new engines, but as long as game developers are coding with the hardware in the current gen consoles first and foremost in mind, I fear PC gamers won't see much innovation.

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Yea but I have one complaint: there are no waves breaking on the beach! I mean come on! This Island is in the middle of the ocean and there are not even small bay-type waves. Also the water doesn't react very well when you drive a vehicle through it. The water should be sucked back towards the tires like in real life.

I'm not sure if crysis 2 will be running on CE3 because CE3 is what their gonna use for the next Xbox and PlayStation. CE3 has better texture and physics capabilities but from the officially released demo video of CE3, the fire explosions were crappy. :pfff:

From the demo video of CE3, I would like crysis 2 to be on a modified CE2 rather then the CE3.

But maybe they'll improve those fire explosions and then I'll be happy :D

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Of course CE3 is crappy. Only then can it run on consoles. And about that water, like I said, what you say may be right. But, it is not very important. There are other areas to concentrate on.

Oh, and there are waves. Observe.

And we all hope that Crysis 2 uses CE2 on the PC. Any idea when its coming out?

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

2012, aproxamitly (I don't wana be blamed if this is wrong)

The water had such little waves it's ridicules! There should be waves breaking on the beach not because it was preprogramed, but because the physics are so darn advanced.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Think about it, look at the best game of 2003 and compare that to crysis. Then imaging crysis 2 being that much better then crysis. Maybe even more-so.

But there are all kinds of things that also need improvement such as physics and AI.

I bet crysis 2 will be on 3 dvds at least. 2 for the single player and 1 for the multiplayer. Maybe even blu-ray! That would allow for so many more textures that you could scope in 10x on a leaf and see the individual vain things! That's what I expect. Then there will be an expansion pack with ultra high details to make it even better!

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

+1

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
yea, we keep on bitching about how this dirt doesn't look like $hit from a monkey's a$$, blah blah...

Although physics and AI can be improved, AI nowadays are just "run around, shoot you"

What about some sort of intelligence that we would use in RL that can be applied to new AI, that way games can be more challenging

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
BlueScreenDeath wrote :

I want to see actual terran deformation, and fully destructible environments....ie. blow a foxhole in the ground to take cover, or fire a tank shell and completely destroys a tower/concrete structure.

There was something similar to that in "Fracture" for X360, though what you want is way more advanced than the one in Fracture.

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

+1

But we can get pretty darn close. Sure we can't make chloroplasts photosynthesize the sunlight and make the tree grow lol

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The original crysis was more demanding than warhead. This is because too many people called foul because of crysis not being runnable on many pcs. So they made warhead to need less demanding requirements. I think crysis and gta 4 are the most demanding games right now. I've never actually seen Moore's Law, so I can't actually say anything about that.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
crysis 2 is running on CE3 becuse CE2 can't throw crysis 1 quality on consoles. CE3 is made so that consoles can fully support it (crytek is no longer making pc exclusives anymore because of all those piraters from hell), that's why some people might say that it looks worst. And people should stop hoping for it to come on CE2 because if that happens Crytek would have to make totally different versions and will take way longer, since they would have to make one first and then the other version. And if it goes like that we'll still have to wait a very long time because an intelligent publisher would release the pc and console versions at the same time to avoid major piracy.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
what the hell? shouldn't CE3 be the next step, not a devolution backwards?

They should call CE3 something else, like "CEC for CryEngine Console" or something.

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

yes! I totally agree with you. What console makers should do is all make their consoles 360 size or better to put in extra hardware. If console makers could but a GTX 285 or better into the new systems, and If Crytec made CE3 better then CE2 but capable to be worse and just have consoles run medium and release the high and very high on the PC virsion, then everyone will be happy! (wow thats a mouthful of a sentence!)

I hope that's how things will happen. I'm pretty sure that Crytec Is making CE3 down-gradable to consoles (or upgradable to PC. Which ever they prioritize), but I'm not positive.

What I am positive of is that the Wii2 or whatever its called will have worse (way worse) graphics then the new xbox and PlayStation. You can quote me on that one.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

I think that is exactly why most single-player games include some sort of multi-player mode. We wont be able to make AI that is life-like for sometime, and then we have to wait for that to be implemented into games. Physics needs a huge improvement (Although, from what I have seen, Volition's new game "Red Faction: Guerilla" will have some pretty good physics)

What I am positive of is that the Wii2 or whatever its called will have worse (way worse) graphics then the new xbox and PlayStation. You can quote me on that one.

We all know that, BUT the fact that Wii is still competing with the XBOX 360 and the PS3 shows that graphics arent the only thing that make a game. ;)

Some people havnt seen this:

Additionally, OpenCL has querying tools to test the compute capabilities of an individual platform, so that the processing requirements can be best tuned to the components within an individual computer - if a system has a middle-range CPU but a high-end GPU then the tasks can be biased towards the GPU. Alternatively if the system uses a performance CPU but a mainstream GPU then the tasks can be biased to the CPU so that the user can maintain the best graphics quality whilst still attaining good performance.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/interview-with-ati-dave-baumann/4

It looks like its heading in the right direction, now if they can learn to run both RT and rasterization at the same time by adding in a newer one of these http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3549 and we could see alot of things change in gaming, both for perf, but eye candy too.
We will have OpenCL, plus MT seen with DX11 and W7, with better memory management, theres tools out there thatll make even our current HW alot closer than we are now

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Wow! That looks awesome and its gonna be in DX11! Crysis 2 will preform even better and won't need as much memory! I think DX11 will be a much bigger improvement then DX10 was.

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
wow lol. Lets see here...YES!! There's physics, AI, raytracing, GI, textures, and a hundred other things that can be improved.

wow...this topic is finished.........................................................................................................................................................................................

G

Don't forget evolving display technology. Monitors will likely begin appearing in the near future with stereoscopic capabilities. This translates to a poor-mans 3-d that requires 2 independent video data streams. Also, processors will have to crunch the numbers to create the 3-D aspect your brain usually does.

Further afield are holographic displays and direct brain stimulation technologies... lots of headroom for growth here!

I don't find Crysis realistic at all. Take a look around your yard! How much more detail do you see? Does Crysis crunch the numbers for all those little ants you see climbing up and down those little valleys and hills under your feet? What about those silly North Koreans? Can you hold a conversation with any one of them about their favorite girlies (assuming you knew Korean)? Games are simple, primitive, and worse of all, the AI is dumb, dumb, dumber... :(

anonz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
+1

what are the point of having photorealistic graphic without a good AI. crysis is almost realistic in term of graphic but when you played the game it feel the otherwise. unrealistic destructive environment (as stated in earlier post), crappy enemy AI and lack of animal. seriously, the crysis is set in forest/jungle setting but i haven't found any wild animal yet (such as monkeys or snakes obviously). and this is what the enthusiast called realistic?