[SOLVED] Can I add a 32GB RAM Dual Kit with another 16GB DualKit?

vlad9727

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hello.

Would I be able to add another Dual Channel Kit to my other 2 available slots, considering the other kit would be from the same manufacturer, have the same frequency, voltage, timings, etc., EXCEPT capacity?

i.e.:
  • A1: 8GB 3200MHz, Voltage 1.35V, Timings 16-18-18, Latency 16 CL
  • A2: 16GB 3200MHz, Voltage 1.35V, Timings 16-18-18, Latency 16 CL
  • B1: 8GB 3200MHz, Voltage 1.35V, Timings 16-18-18, Latency 16 CL
  • B2: 16GB 3200MHz, Voltage 1.35V, Timings 16-18-18, Latency 16 CL

My motherboard is an ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS, got the latest BIOS Driver.

On the MOBO's manual is this noted:
"You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation."
I'm not quite sure what this means; would it work, but run the excess memory (16GB from the 32GB) as single channel?

The specs also mention it has a Dual Channel Architecture, nothing about "Quadruple Channel Architecture" mentioned. I assume both channels would just run Dual Channel Architecture separately.

On their QVL (Qualified Vendor List), I was able to find the 4x 8GB Corsair sticks (so, they'd definitely work), but I wasn't able to find a configuration similar to what I want (2x16GB and 2x8GB).

Solution
How would u interpret this note from the manual?
"You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation."

Is it that the "excess" memory capacity (16GB from the 32GB) would run as single channel?
That is the way it reads.

Memory is sold in a matched tested set when you add 1 set to another set then their not tested to work together so it might work might not work or could work and just be unstable.

It would sux to work on a project for a few hours and get a blue screen and loose all that work.

The old DDR2 memory was about a no...

vlad9727

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Question asked here multiple per day:
"Can I mix RAM?"

Even from the same manufacturer, this is mixing.

The answer, as always, is a 100% Maybe.
It might work, it might fail.

How much do you actually need?

Unreal Engine's been a little fussy with me in the past weeks with only 16 GB of RAM (while also running other apps as well) when I attempt to run certain levels.
I feel like adding another 32 GB RAM to the build would help (for a total of 48GB), and further keeping those for a much later upgrade to 64 GB when the time will be right.

That "100% Maybe", why would it be the case to not work?

Unreal Engine's been a little fussy with me in the past weeks with only 16 GB of RAM (while also running other apps as well) when I attempt to run certain levels.
I feel like adding another 32 GB RAM to the build would help (for a total of 48GB), and further keeping those for a much later upgrade to 64 GB when the time will be right.

That "100% Maybe", why would it be the case to not work?
In theory everything should work fine.
Sometimes the real world and theory are different.
Make sure of the return policy and then give it a shot.

Reactions: vlad9727

vlad9727

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
In theory everything should work fine.
Sometimes the real world and theory are different.
Make sure of the return policy and then give it a shot.

Is it that the "excess" memory capacity (16GB from the 32GB) would run as single channel?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

That is the way it reads.

Memory is sold in a matched tested set when you add 1 set to another set then their not tested to work together so it might work might not work or could work and just be unstable.

It would sux to work on a project for a few hours and get a blue screen and loose all that work.

The old DDR2 memory was about a no brainer just slap another stick in, DDR3 made it a little harder but would usually work as long as it was the same density or at least you could make some adjustments and make it work and be stable, now comes DDR4 it's pickier might, might not, might with some adjustments.

Your best bet is to get the 2X16gb set (as in one package) and use 32GB you can sell the 2X8GB set or try it if you wish.

EDIT if you just bought another 2X8GB set even the same memory you currently have their a chance it will not work together in that case your right back to square one but have spent more money.

Last edited:
Solution

That's the way I read it.