[SOLVED] Can i buy a PCI x1 for USB 3.0?

*temo

Prominent
Jul 27, 2019
Hello, I am currently in the process of searching for USB 3.0 online but after reading up on some other forums I have been told that it would not be possible to use a pcie x1 for USB 3.0. i have a optiplex 3010 with only one slot open being the x1. i wish to reach 3.0 speeds as I am hoping to use the USB for the oculus link any cheap alternatives on amazon someone can recommend?
Found this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071P5C6CS
(Apologies if this is the wrong section)

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
well most of the PCIe to USB3 cards are for 1x slot
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pcie+to+usb+3.0

is this your computer ?
https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_3010_technical_guidebook.pdf

check page 12 :
NOTE: Add in card location and priority: PCIe x16: GFX, USB 3.0, Parallel/Serial, NIC, Wireless; PCIe x1: USB 3.0, Parallel/Serial, NIC, Wireless
NOTE: All PCIe slots support PCIe 2.0

so, you have to find a PCIe card compatible with PCIe 2.0 , like this one
also the manual confirms USB 3.0 expansion card exists for this model

they are several kinds of optiplex towers, if the witdh is short, you need a card with a short bracket. (sometimes there is 2 brackets in the box)
like this one (it says 5gbps at 1x, wich means it's PCIe 2.0)

on a side note, your computer is probably not powerfull enough for VR. unless you only want to watch po.. i mean movies :) and even for that i would be probably laggy

if i was helpfull please select my answer as best answer please :)

Last edited:

*temo

Prominent
Jul 27, 2019
Yes that is my computer the 3010 i5 3450
I am unsure what you mean by 2.0 as looking at the product I have never seen one of the plugs on the right I know the left as the SATA power (the one I don't know is this one bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1384721-REG/atech_flash_technology_ad_0300_r01_usb_3_0_to_20_pin.html)
I am aware that I cannot do VR or at least that well unless its, scientific research ;) but I would like to do some work with VR workspaces even if it is laggy and very minimal.
I can only use the last x1 slot as my card takes up the first one and about half of the other.
any idea where to find one that's just plugin and done or am I being too optimistic for it to be that easy
Should I just buy the amazon one you linked?
Thank you for the help.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
the expension slots are called PCI express
they come in several versions called 1.0 , 2.0 , 3.0 and 4.0

when you plug a card, your motherboard needs to be able to talk to the card at given speed.

I checked the manual in order to verify what version of PCIe your motherbord supports.

the sata power on the card i showed first is there because sata ports are powered.
sometimes if you plug a device that needs a lot of juice, the power coming from the motherboard won't suffice (it is often the case for the DELL / HP pcs like yours), so they offer this sata power in order to give more current to your peripherals.

Since your VR headset is powered by the USB cable, i think it's a good idea to get an expension card with additionnal power available.

*temo

Prominent
Jul 27, 2019