[SOLVED] Can I clone a drive that is not showing in Windows?

VincentIE

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
I ran into a problem where windows wouldn't start normally. One time I stated my computer and booted into Macrium Reflect (outside of Windows) and there I tried repairing my my SSD boot drive. After following the instructions and rebooting a Windows screen came up with options of fixing the SSD boot drive. I tried them and none work.

I was thinking I could put the SSD into another computer and then clone it to a new empty hard drive, then booting from the new hard drive in the old computer. But, the SSD doesn't show up in Explorer nor Disk manger in the other computer, and still I can get repair options from the SSD on my old PC.

So, can I clone the SSD that is not showing in Windows?

Solution
My old broken SSD shows up with all its files in Disk Management and I would like to recover them to an external drive.
Do you know of any free software? I have looked around alot and tried one but it copied all my files in new folders for diffrent file types, and not the original folders.
Yeah that happens because windows keeps the record of the folders and what files are in them,if this record is gone all you can do is find files but you have no idea in what original folder they belonged to...because that info is gone.

VincentIE

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Yes, I do have multiple drives and the sata connector on the SSD is somewhat broken (though, all pins intact) and it might be like you're saying, that the windows settings are loaded from one of my other hard drives.
The sata connector on the other computer works, because I tried it with a DVD reader and it worked.

Can I get the drive recovered from manufacturer or third party?

I have one more question. If the drive shows up in Disk Manager, can I copy the files from it without creating a new volume and formating it?

Thanks for the help.

VincentIE

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
My old broken SSD shows up with all its files in Disk Management and I would like to recover them to an external drive.
Do you know of any free software? I have looked around alot and tried one but it copied all my files in new folders for diffrent file types, and not the original folders.

Yeah that happens because windows keeps the record of the folders and what files are in them,if this record is gone all you can do is find files but you have no idea in what original folder they belonged to...because that info is gone.

Solution