Can i combine 2 ram frequency?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Hello , I'm buyed a new desktop computer with 4gb 1333mhz ram memory ( DDR3 ) and i want to upgrade my system to 8gbs but in the shop i have only find 4 gb 1066mhz ram.... Can i combine 1333mhz + 1333mhz ( 'couse i have 2 of 2gbs ) and 1066mhz... Is it safe? :??: couse my computer is new and i dont want to made any crash. This is my spec:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 ( 3.0ghz )
Ram: 4gb ( for the moment :) )
Motherboard: Biostar NF520D3
GPU: EVGA GT 430

I'm not the best in english couse i'm from Serbia :S

Solution
You can but the ram will run at the lowest speed of the two so it will run at 1066mhz.
Ram is cheap enough right now that you can pick up 4 gb of 1333mhz for pretty cheap right now and that way you will have ll the ram running at 1333mhz.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Compatibility has to do with the PCI-e lanes on your computer and not your processor. For example, if you only have PCI-e 1.0 and are limited to x8, you will get a performance bottleneck because of insufficient bandwidth. If, however, you have a PCI-e 2.0 or 3.0 compatible motherboard and a lane which can run at x16 you should be perfectly fine.

Edit: looked at the spec sheet for your motherboard, and you shouldn't have any issue with PCI-e compatibility. You may still have an issue with how much power the card will consume and whether or not your PSU can handle it.

[strike]Another question for you -- what version of windows are you using ?? (32 bit or 64 bit ??) - If you have a 32 bit version of windoews adding more than 4gb. of ram will be a waste since 32 bit versions can only use a total of 4gb of memory so the rest would be unused unless you change to the 64 bit version ![/strike]

EDIT : Just reread and noticed it listed 64 bit !