Question Can I completely setup a gaming PC on a TV?

Jul 11, 2019
I'm getting a gaming PC soon and I want to use my TV for it, but I'm thinking that since I'm using my TV for it I wont be able to enter BIOS or anything on it. Does it matter if I use a TV or a monitor when it comes to displaying the BIOS?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should have no problems entering bios.

Only problem you may face is possible screen tearing and input lag. On 60Hz Tvs just like monitors, depending on your hardware if frame rate far exceeds the refresh rate you'll probably want to use Vsync or limit fps. Also TVs have internal processing to enhance images. If input lag bothers you try setting TV to game mode.

Reactions: Irreverent Trash
Jul 11, 2019
Should have no problems entering bios.

Only problem you may face is possible screen tearing and input lag. On 60Hz Tvs just like monitors, depending on your hardware if frame rate far exceeds the refresh rate you'll probably want to use Vsync or limit fps. Also TVs have internal processing to enhance images. If input lag bothers you try setting TV to game mode.
Perfect! Thank you so much!

You will have to plug in your TV to an output of the motherboard to get the bios screens to show up.
After getting into bios and choosing to initialize the external GPU first (PCI) then you can plug in your TV to the GPU and you will get the bios screens there.

You always get the bios only on your main display.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You will have to plug in your TV to an output of the motherboard to get the bios screens to show up.
After getting into bios and choosing to initialize the external GPU first (PCI) then you can plug in your TV to the GPU and you will get the bios screens there.

You always get the bios only on your main display.

Why would they have to do that? A graphics card should be priority and shouldn't have to use the igpu in this manner. I never have, unless things have changed since.

Why would they have to do that? A graphics card should be priority and shouldn't have to use the igpu in this manner. I never have, unless things have changed since.
It is and it will work right away without doing anything but you will only get picture as soon as windows takes over.
Not all PCs have external GPUs but all PCs have a internal one so default bios settings are to start the one that exists always first.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like an oem thing. There are cpus without igpu's as you would know. I don't think the main leading motherboard companies would have this limitation.

If the pc is going to be pre-built machine with a graphics card, i suppose it could be something to be aware of. This is new to me and a hard pill to swallow, I'll take your word for it.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I had a somehow simliar/related experienced myself.

I didn't check with BIOS (no need) but I had a dual boot Linux with Windows. I had this HDMI cable I used to watch videos on TV without taking the PC to the other room.

TV wouldn't show the mobo splash screen and GRUB so I had to wait for GRUB OS selection to come up on monitor, choose Windows and then connect the HDMI. It was from a card (GTX 10xx, no analog thing), not motherboard output as CPU has no iGPU.

Sounds like an oem thing. There are cpus without igpu's as you would know. I don't think the main leading motherboard companies would have this limitation.

If the pc is going to be pre-built machine with a graphics card, i suppose it could be something to be aware of. This is new to me and a hard pill to swallow, I'll take your word for it.
Actually you could be right if it's a new build and you only ever attach the TV it will probably display everything there.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Actually you could be right if it's a new build and you only ever attach the TV it will probably display everything there.

Yeah maybe, depending on the system i suppose and like you said how the motherboard configures the primary graphics for bios. Coincidentally came across this thread recently after the discussion we had here seeming to relate about the motherboard's video being the primary display after changing monitor to use the gpu. Being an oem machine, the board could be designed that way unless igpu is able to be disabled or manually changed to peg only, not sure.

Last edited: