[SOLVED] Can I connect a thunderbolt 3 dock to a ThinkPad T460s?

letsplay14me

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T490 and a T460s. The T490 has a thunderbolt 3 port, but the T460s only has USB 3.0. I was wondering if it's possible to connect a thunderbolt 3 hub to the T460s through a thunderbolt 3 female to usb 3.0 male adapter. Will it connect all peripherals to the t460s? Charging won't work of course, but what about everything else?
Thanks,
Vlad

Solution
If the port isn't a Thunderbolt port, the hub/dock will not work at all. At best you might get USB functionality off the hub but not other components on the dock.

Speaking of docks, what is the make and model of your dock/hub?

Lutfij

Titan
If the port isn't a Thunderbolt port, the hub/dock will not work at all. At best you might get USB functionality off the hub but not other components on the dock.

Speaking of docks, what is the make and model of your dock/hub?

Solution

letsplay14me

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I don't have a dock yet, I am planning on buying one. It looks like there is no chance I can find a hub that supports both thunderbolt connection to laptop (for peripherals+monitors+charging) and a USB 3.0 connection to a laptop (only peripherals+monitors). I think I will go with a USB 3.0 dock that will work for both, and also use a charging cable to the laptop separately. Something like this:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...-usb/ThinkPad-USB-3-0-Ultra-Dock/p/40A80045US

Unless someone can find a better alternative :)