Question Can I connect PSU to the other 4 pins from a 12 pin EATX 12 V MoBo connector?

Dec 18, 2021
Hi, every1,

I have an ASUS motherboard model TUF Gaming X570 Plus. The 3.3 V voltage has been fluctuating a bit and this has made me waste a lot of time trying to find out why I couldn't make my SSD NVMe work properly.
After finding out what the problem was, I could finally go ahead with my PC life, but some time after the voltage dropped a little again, which made me reinstall Windows from scratch.
My MoBo has a 12 pin EATX 12 V connector and, at the moment, only 8 pins are connected. I am wondering if I connect the remaining 4 pins to the PSU (600 W) I could get a more stable 3.3 V voltage?
My PSU is a Redragon 600 W.
Thanks in advance!
LBCarvalho

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, every1,

I have an ASUS motherboard model TUF Gaming X570 Plus. The 3.3 V voltage has been fluctuating a bit and this has made me waste a lot of time trying to find out why I couldn't make my SSD NVMe work properly.
After finding out what the problem was, I could finally go ahead with my PC life, but some time after the voltage dropped a little again, which made me reinstall Windows from scratch.
My MoBo has a 12 pin EATX 12 V connector and, at the moment, only 8 pins are connected. I am wondering if I connect the remaining 4 pins to the PSU (600 W) I could get a more stable 3.3 V voltage?
Thanks in advance!
LBCarvalho
If you search this board, you will see that your power supply is not very well received. It might be the poor quality of the power supply causing your problem rather than insufficient connectivity to the motherboard.

Reactions: Enrique Sanchez
CPU power is 12v and wouldn't have anything to do with 3.3v. Adding another 4 pin CPU power connector is extremely unlikely to change anything.

How are you measuring voltage? Use a multimeter, don't trust software.

Your power supply is low quality and I would recommend upgrading it.

However that being said I highly doubt that's the PSU is the reason an nvme SSD isn't operating properly.

Hi, every1,

Thanks in advance!
LBCarvalho
Aside from your PSU...it won't work.

3.3V is brought onto the motherboard through the 24pin connector. Doing anything with the EATX 12V connectors won't help in the least.

The best you could do is make sure all the contacts on the 24pin connector are fully inserted as it often happens one gets pushed back in the connector body and makes poor contact. Turn power off and disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet. Then push each wire hard at the 24 pin connector to make sure they're solidly connected.

Cheap PSU's use cheap contacts; they work loose and may never make good electrical connection. I don't know if that's the case with yours (everyone IS hating on it though) but this would make a great excuse to get a better one.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS