Can i grind the copper pipes of cooler master hyper 212 evo

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hello,

I am creating a new build in a raidmax blackstorm case. It has a side panel fan. I installed the cooler master hyper evo into the case and the tips of the copper pipe are about 1/8th of an inch to long and hit the side panel fan, causing it to stop. I was hoping to be able to use the side panel fan to keep plenty of air blowing on my ivy bridge cpu and geforce gtx 670. Just wanted to know if there is any kind of problem grinding off 1/8 of an inch of the pipes at the end to allow me to continue using my fan. I know it will void the warranty of the heatsink, but I am not worried about that.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
I beileve doing that will cause cooling problems. Sanding down or cutting off parts of cooling mechinisms can result in a huge raise in temps for your CPU or it might even render it completely unusable.

I can't tell from the pictures - but could you replace that 180mm fan with a 140mm or 120mm model?

11-156-251-Z05

CDdude55

Distinguished
I beileve doing that will cause cooling problems. Sanding down or cutting off parts of cooling mechinisms can result in a huge raise in temps for your CPU or it might even render it completely unusable.

Solution

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Thank you guys, I am glad I asked before I did it then, I wasnt able to see any problem, but of course, I have never attempted anything like that. Unfortunately the smaller fan would also just barely be hit by the pipes. I was going to do that first. I think I will look into seeing if I am able to slide the mounts of the small fan closer to the front of the case or even down just enough to clear the pipes. Not sure if that is feasible..

cm8647

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe
A heat pipe or heat pin is a heat-transfer device that combines the principles of both thermal conductivity and phase transition to efficiently manage the transfer of heat between two solid interfaces.

At the hot interface within a heat pipe, which is typically at a very low pressure, a liquid in contact with a thermally conductive solid surface turns into a vapor by absorbing heat from that surface. The vapor then travels along the heat pipe to the cold interface, condenses back into a liquid, releasing the latent heat. The liquid then returns to the hot interface through either capillary action or gravity action where it evaporates once more and repeats the cycle. In addition, the internal pressure of the heat pipe can be set or adjusted to facilitate the phase change depending on the demands of the working conditions of the thermally managed system.

Just guessing but if you open the pipe the coolant in the pipe Would evaporate. You would need to reclose the system, also the shape of the pipe at the top may affect the efficiency. Maybe if you cut off conical top of the heat pipe, then remove a section of pipe. The amount you need to lower the pipe, then re-solder the conical tops to the pipes.