Question Can I mix 8GB CL17 RAM with 4 GB CL19 RAM?

Nov 14, 2022
Hello everybody,
I have 2 (one of them is onboard) 4 GB 2666MHz CL19 RAMs and I would like to upgrade my system to 12 GB thats why I bought 8 GB 2666Mhz CL19 RAM but they sent me 8 GB 2400MHz CL17 RAM, usually I refund it immediatley but my RAMs already works at 2400Mhz CL17 because Ryzen 3200U doesn't support above 2400Mhz. So can I use them together? I don't wanna deal with refund unless it's necessary.
PS: I'm using notebook and of the 4 GB RAM is soldered to motherboard.
Here are specs of my RAMs;
View: https://imgur.com/a/4YOnpSS

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Further reading, especially the 2nd chapter answers your question,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

But in short; mixing RAM is a bad idea.
Now, if you would have two identical RAM sticks, that wasn't bought as a set, but instead individually, then chances are 50:50. The more differences there are between RAM sticks, the less of a chance there is, that all sticks work together.

Reactions: jandark
Nov 14, 2022
Further reading, especially the 2nd chapter answers your question,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

But in short; mixing RAM is a bad idea.
Now, if you would have two identical RAM sticks, that wasn't bought as a set, but instead individually, then chances are 50:50. The more differences there are between RAM sticks, the less of a chance there is, that all sticks work together.
So what do you think I should do? I can't buy two pairs cause one of them is already onboard and I would like to uprade it to 12 GB (4+8), there is no chance for it. But I can refund this one and try to get 8 GB 2666Mhz CL19 RAM, as I already did, and also both of them are going to have Samsung chip so this way I can at least match every specs I could do.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So what do you think I should do?

Refund what you can and buy 2x 8GB (16 GB) set of RAM for your PC. And once new RAM arrives, take out the old RAM and store it as a backup. <- This is the best option.

so this way I can at least match every specs I could do.

Even then, chances of two individual sticks working together are 50:50.
You did read the article i linked, right?

Nov 14, 2022
Refund what you can and buy 2x 8GB (16 GB) set of RAM for your PC. And once new RAM arrives, take out the old RAM and store it as a backup. <- This is the best option.

Even then, chances of two individual sticks working together are 50:50.
You did read the article i linked, right?
Yes, I did read but as I say one of the 4 gigs is onboard ram it is soldered to motherboard that means I can't change it. That's why I'm insisting about trying to match them in every possible way.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
one of the 4 gigs is onboard ram it is soldered to motherboard that means I can't change it.

Do you have laptop or desktop PC? :unsure:

If laptop, then look from your laptop specs and memory upgrade options, as of which RAM sticks exactly are compatible with your laptop, according to the laptop manufacturer. Or you can even contact your laptop manufacturer and ask them directly.

If desktop, then you sure have some very obscure MoBo in use, which has one stick soldered on the board.

Btw, most folks who post in TH have desktop PCs. Those that do have laptops, state it so well in advance.

Nov 14, 2022
Do you have laptop or desktop PC? :unsure:

If laptop, then look from your laptop specs and memory upgrade options, as of which RAM sticks exactly are compatible with your laptop, according to the laptop manufacturer. Or you can even contact your laptop manufacturer and ask them directly.

If desktop, then you sure have some very obscure MoBo in use, which has one stick soldered on the board.

Btw, most folks who post in TH have desktop PCs. Those that do have laptops, state it so well in advance.
Sorry for misunderstanding, I forgot to mention that I have laptop. I also edited the post few minutes ago to prevent misunderstandings for later. Thanks for helping btw I try to reach my laptop manufacturer for information as you said.

Reactions: Aeacus
Hello everybody,
I have 2 (one of them is onboard) 4 GB 2666MHz CL19 RAMs and I would like to upgrade my system to 12 GB thats why I bought 8 GB 2666Mhz CL19 RAM but they sent me 8 GB 2400MHz CL17 RAM, usually I refund it immediatley but my RAMs already works at 2400Mhz CL17 because Ryzen 3200U doesn't support above 2400Mhz. So can I use them together? I don't wanna deal with refund unless it's necessary.
PS: I'm using notebook and of the 4 GB RAM is soldered to motherboard.
Here are specs of my RAMs;
View: https://imgur.com/a/4YOnpSS
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.

Boot the flash stick and let it run.

If it completes with no errors you should be good to go.

Nov 14, 2022
To help forward;
I changed my SK Hynix 4GB 2666MHz CL19 RAM with Kingston ValueRam 8GB 2666MHz CL19 DDR4 Ram KVR26S19S8/8 and tested it with MemTest86Free, ran 4 passes succesfully without giving any error. CL, MHz and Voltage values are also stable and same as before, they run dual channel at 2400MHz CL17. As I understand if you match your RAMs TRUE (not the values they run) CL, MHz and Voltage values they have high chance to work at least it worked for me very well. To find them you first should find their PartNumber, you can find it via CMD or CPU-Z then search it on google, look for their specs and buy a RAM which has same values.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS