Question Can I OC my ram without XMP or BIOS setting change?

tinillosolerpt1

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Can I OC my ram without XMP or BIOS setting change??
Lenovo seems to have locked the BIOS settings and they are hidden. I looked for modded BIOS but didn't find one compatible with my machine.

Lenovo Yoga 720 15IKB
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
What are the specs to your rams? You might want to see if updating your BIOS(if there are any pending) changes your experience. Also if the sticks of ram are beyond that which supported by the laptop they will be downclocked. If the rams are on spec with what's supported by the laptop they should go to their advertised speeds without any intervention.

Further reading.

tinillosolerpt1

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
What are the specs to your rams? You might want to see if updating your BIOS(if there are any pending) changes your experience. Also if the sticks of ram are beyond that which supported by the laptop they will be downclocked. If the rams are on spec with what's supported by the laptop they should go to their advertised speeds without any intervention.

Further reading.
16GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Currently running @2133MHz.

I wanted I higher speed ram, but lenovo did a "great" thing and soldered one ram stick to the motherboard, so I am stuck at 2400Hz.

I thought of frying the ram slot soldered to the motherboard so that the machine doesn't recognise it and it would run to the speed if the new ram I'd buy. The problem w that is that the laptop might adjust the ram to 2133MHz, and now I'd be in even a worse position - only one ram slot, running @2133MHz-

I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N124XDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any ideas?

Thanks btw

Last edited:
Thaiphoon Burner, and RWEverything have been used to apply overclock settings to RAM modules. TB is specific for that purpose. RWE is a broad category Hex editor. With TB you may not be able to change the speed, but can tune the CAS latency lower for more performance. RWE can get you into PLL, and Chipset settings for more speed but can also brick your computer VERY easily. You might ask at Notebook Review for guidance. They overclock laptops there and may have some specific settings for your system.

tinillosolerpt1

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Thaiphoon Burner, and RWEverything have been used to apply overclock settings to RAM modules. TB is specific for that purpose. RWE is a broad category Hex editor. With TB you may not be able to change the speed, but can tune the CAS latency lower for more performance. RWE can get you into PLL, and Chipset settings for more speed but can also brick your computer VERY easily. You might ask at Notebook Review for guidance. They overclock laptops there and may have some specific settings for your system.
Where can I download RWE??

16GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Currently running @2133MHz.

I wanted I higher speed ram, but lenovo did a "great" thing and soldered one ram stick to the motherboard, so I am stuck at 2400Hz.

I thought of frying the ram slot soldered to the motherboard so that the machine doesn't recognise it and it would run to the speed if the new ram I'd buy. The problem w that is that the laptop might adjust the ram to 2133MHz, and now I'd be in even a worse position - only one ram slot, running @2133MHz-

I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N124XDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any ideas?

Thanks btw

If you "fry the ram slot" you are more likely to end up with a dead motherboard than a system that runs faster RAM. Do you want faster RAM for some reason more than a working laptop? You got a small form 2 in 1 system, it's not designed for overclocking, same thing for any laptop outside of higher end gaming ones. My suggestion is use the laptop as it instead of messing with it and causing issue. One of the things I see a lot is people causing new issues by trying to "fix" something that is not an issue or trying to get something running faster when there is pretty much no benefit to doing it.

tinillosolerpt1

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
If you "fry the ram slot" you are more likely to end up with a dead motherboard than a system that runs faster RAM. Do you want faster RAM for some reason more than a working laptop? You got a small form 2 in 1 system, it's not designed for overclocking, same thing for any laptop outside of higher end gaming ones. My suggestion is use the laptop as it instead of messing with it and causing issue. One of the things I see a lot is people causing new issues by trying to "fix" something that is not an issue or trying to get something running faster when there is pretty much no benefit to doing it.
I'm not interested in gaming, I use programmes that are very ram dependant like Inventor, autodesk CFD, flow simulation, onenote...

I use them simultaneously and the laptop gets very laggy. CPU usage is high, but it can cope with it. Ram in the other hand is at it max. A higher running frequency ram would help me as well as more ram. That's why I'm seeking for help.

I bought a laptop bc I use it at the uni and at home, I needed it to be portable. Please don't tell me I should've bought a desktop.

Thanks for your time!

tinillosolerpt1

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
There is such a thing as a Mobile Workstation. HP and Dell both offer them. Maybe that's what you need?

http://rweverything.com/
I just looked at a couple of models, they look promessing! but they are slightly above my budget and I just have been a year since i bought this laptop...

I downloaded the trial version of thaipoon burner, but it is not showing the 2nd ram slot. CPU Z does the same, it only shows 8GB of ram installed in one socket. The weird thing is that task manager does show 16gb of memory, and if I push the machine, it will go over 8gb of memory usage.

Any clues on what this might be causing this??

Again, I appreciate a lot your time!!

I'm not interested in gaming, I use programmes that are very ram dependant like Inventor, autodesk CFD, flow simulation, onenote...

I use them simultaneously and the laptop gets very laggy. CPU usage is high, but it can cope with it. Ram in the other hand is at it max. A higher running frequency ram would help me as well as more ram. That's why I'm seeking for help.

I bought a laptop bc I use it at the uni and at home, I needed it to be portable. Please don't tell me I should've bought a desktop.

Thanks for your time!

You got the wrong laptop for your use, the Yogas are for simple use cases like taking notes, spreadsheets, web browsing. For what you are using it you need a standard laptop with better specs. More RAM is good yes if it's maxed out when you check it in taks manager, faster RAM not so much especially if you have to mess with the system. You are looking at single digit % speed increase, maybe, in some tasks, for trying to do something that may brick the system.

Even a used higher end laptop wold be better for you than a new basic use one. I have a Lenovo W520 which is years old, but I like using it and working on it more than pretty much any new system, 4 RAM slots, plenty of drive options, solid build, i7 CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads, large enough for good cooling without sounding like a plane about to take off.

Reactions: tinillosolerpt1

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
RWEverything is good software (useful so BIOS modding in some cases) BUT it will Not allow you to add or unlock BIOS options that you would need to OC your RAM.
As stated by hang-the-9, your laptop is designed for very basic computing and likely does Not even contain the features for OCing your RAM.

Personally, I recommend that you ask someone with BIOS modding experience (on a BIOS modding forum) to look at your BIOS and see if there are any settings available to be unlocked to OC RAM n your BIOS.

Reactions: tinillosolerpt1

tinillosolerpt1

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Very well, I'll look on what to do with my laptop...

large enough for good cooling without sounding like a plane about to take off.
Yeah this laptop was running a little to hot so I repasted it w liquid metal. Maybe its time to accept I bought the wrong laptop. I mean it doesn't run bad, but it could be better.

on a BIOS modding forum
I will also look into that. Thanks.

Edit: I'm also afraid that with a modded BIOS the person who provided it to me might have access to my data. Wdy?

I just looked at a couple of models, they look promessing! but they are slightly above my budget and I just have been a year since i bought this laptop...

I downloaded the trial version of thaipoon burner, but it is not showing the 2nd ram slot. CPU Z does the same, it only shows 8GB of ram installed in one socket. The weird thing is that task manager does show 16gb of memory, and if I push the machine, it will go over 8gb of memory usage.

Any clues on what this might be causing this??

Again, I appreciate a lot your time!!
Some versions of Win 7 only recognize 8GB RAM. But the GPU can get into some of the higher adresses anyway. The GPU can take adresses from the top down at startup for caching. Maybe????

If you run PC Wizard you can see if the soldered module has the SPD profile for the faster speed you want. If so then no reprogramming is needed. The Xeon may support a higher RAM speed than the consumer CPU. If you get the first module up to speed then the 2nd one should follow.

Last edited: