Question Can I properly test my second-hand RX 570 8gb sapphire nitro with my decrepit AMD Phenom II x4 925?

Jun 29, 2023
I'm on the process of slowly building up my first PC on a budget, and used parts are a big part of it.

I found a good deal from a reputable seller for a used RX 570 8gb Saphhire Nitro in a local buy and sell website (Mercadolibre in Argentina) with a 30 days refund and I jumped it. The problem is, other than the new GPU and PSU (I think), all parts in the current PC are hella old (+10 years):

• Motherboard: ga-ma770t-ud3p (AM3 Socket)
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 925 with stock cooler
  • Replaced GPU: Raedon HD 6450 (0.5 gb lmao)
  • RAM: I recently upped it to 12 GB with a mish mash of generic DDR3 1600 MHz RAMs. It works I swear.
  • PSU: XFX XT500 80 plus bronze 500 W.
Now, all I want to do right now is check if the RX 570 works properly, and casually game some modded Mount and Blade Warband on the weekends while I wait to get my hands on some better stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with my modest pc-building knowledge I can confidently say that my CPU won't in fact bottleneck the new GPU..

It will choke hold that mf until it begs its silicon god for forgiveness

But! As long as its functional, doesn't damage anything, and, most importantly, can properly test if I didn't get shafted with the second-hand GPU, I'm a happy camper for the time being.

That's the thing though. Can I do the test? Or will the CPU be unable to properly run the software needed to diagnose correctly the GPU? If it's possible to do the test, should I resort to less CPU intensive programs? Can you recommend me some?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time :).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm on the process of slowly building up my first PC on a budget, and used parts are a big part of it.

I found a good deal from a reputable seller for a used RX 570 8gb Saphhire Nitro in a local buy and sell website (Mercadolibre in Argentina) with a 30 days refund and I jumped it. The problem is, other than the new GPU and PSU (I think), all parts in the current PC are hella old (+10 years):

• Motherboard: ga-ma770t-ud3p (AM3 Socket)
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 925 with stock cooler
  • Replaced GPU: Raedon HD 6450 (0.5 gb lmao)
  • RAM: I recently upped it to 12 GB with a mish mash of generic DDR3 1600 MHz RAMs. It works I swear.
  • PSU: XFX XT500 80 plus bronze 500 W.
Now, all I want to do right now is check if the RX 570 works properly, and casually game some modded Mount and Blade Warband on the weekends while I wait to get my hands on some better stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with my modest pc-building knowledge I can confidently say that my CPU won't in fact bottleneck the new GPU..

It will choke hold that mf until it begs its silicon god for forgiveness

But! As long as its functional, doesn't damage anything, and, most importantly, can properly test if I didn't get shafted with the second-hand GPU, I'm a happy camper for the time being.

That's the thing though. Can I do the test? Or will the CPU be unable to properly run the software needed to diagnose correctly the GPU? If it's possible to do the test, should I resort to less CPU intensive programs? Can you recommend me some?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time :).
You can run 3dMark or a few other programs to test the video card.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Solution