Question I use NordVpn, I am changing broadband provider to Toob, am I still protected?

euluta

Prominent
May 31, 2023
I am with Virgin Media but I am changing provider to Toob.

Toob doesn't provide an IP address, they use CGNAT, will I have the same level of protection with the VPN as I do now?

Also I work from home, it means that my job's computer systems connect to my laptop using my IP address. I'm wondering, if I don't have an IP address, would my employer still be able to connect to my laptop remotely?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Moving post from Antivirus/Security/Privacy to Networking.

= = = =

The computer must have an IP address.

Actually there are two IP addresses involved:

The first IP address is the IP address that your ISP assigns to your router. You should be able to discover that IP address via "What is my IP" and you must also ensure not to publish or post that IP address.

The second IP address is the IP address that your devices (laptop) uses to connect to the router. Those IP addresses are what refered to (confusing) as Private IP addresses. The same addresses used by thousands of small networks. Including mine: Router 192.168.1.1

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-public-ip-address-2625974

That all said, I cannot speak to what your employer requires. Nor can or cannot do.

If work related what you should do is work with your employer's IT staff to get everything properly and securely configured.

There may be other posted ideas and suggestions.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Toob doesn't provide an IP address...............
Actually, they do, although it's a private IP address in the 100.x.x.x range.

Your VPN should work fine, but your employer won't be able to reach you via your public IP address because it's shared with everyone else in your neighbourhood. If that's going to be a huge problem then do Toob still offer a paid-for static IPv4 public IP address?

You are going to have to be more clear in what your concerns really are.

CNAT and VPN are the same if you look at only in the ability to hide which machine is really using a particular public IP address. Unlike vpn the cnat traffic is not encrypted leaving your house and you have no ability to choose the location of the data center that the NAT function is being done.

Both CNAT and VPN block any remote access to a pc in your house. Even with a public IP remote access is not allowed without doing special setup in your router.

Many company PC will create their own VPN into a company network. Since that device is now on the company network they have access to it. This should work no matter how you are connected...unless a firewall or something similar is expressly blocking it.