Question Trying to boot off of a bootable SSD after flashing an image wont work

Jul 4, 2024
I don't happen to have any spare USB sticks so I thought that I could flash an image onto one of my three internal system disks. I tried to remove all disk partitions on the disk (yes i backed up all data), but i could not remove one, as it had security enabled. So I looked up how to clan a disk and found the diskpart clean method. I used the command, initialized the disk as a GPT disk, and flashed an image to it. I have also tried Initlizing the disk as MBR, and leaving it uninitialized as well. When I booted into the BIOS, however, the disk did not show up as bootable. I know this method has worked in the past (I used it to try and install arch Linux), but this time it did not. I am trying to install Linux mint. I used blenca etcher to flash the image (no errors or warnings except the one warning me about flashing to a system disk). I got the mint ISO from the official website.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

A 16GB thumb drive shouldn't cost you much. Makes me wonder if your original install wasn't in CSM(not in UEFI mode) and how your initial installer was created. I would advise you to reinstall the OS, after recreating your bootable USB installer. Install all relevant drivers in an elevated command then resize your partition, then proceed to reinstall Linux Mint.

Have you thought about running Linux Mint in VM? Uses less resources.

Jul 4, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

A 16GB thumb drive shouldn't cost you much. Makes me wonder if your original install wasn't in CSM(not in UEFI mode) and how your initial installer was created. I would advise you to reinstall the OS, after recreating your bootable USB installer. Install all relevant drivers in an elevated command then resize your partition, then proceed to reinstall Linux Mint.

Have you thought about running Linux Mint in VM? Uses less resources.
It was in UEFI mode (there is a command in arch to check), and the drive would have still been bootable if I had not cleared them.

I don't happen to have any spare USB sticks so I thought that I could flash an image onto one of my three internal system disks. I tried to remove all disk partitions on the disk (yes i backed up all data), but i could not remove one, as it had security enabled. So I looked up how to clan a disk and found the diskpart clean method. I used the command, initialized the disk as a GPT disk, and flashed an image to it. I have also tried Initlizing the disk as MBR, and leaving it uninitialized as well. When I booted into the BIOS, however, the disk did not show up as bootable. I know this method has worked in the past (I used it to try and install arch Linux), but this time it did not. I am trying to install Linux mint. I used blenca etcher to flash the image (no errors or warnings except the one warning me about flashing to a system disk). I got the mint ISO from the official website.
Is there any reason why you can't use Rufus.ie to flash the image?