Can I run 2 different size dual Chanel kits

zroow

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
sorry if i put this in the wrong category. but my question can i use two different dual channel kits from the same company, same model only the other dual kit will be G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB instead of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB. i was wondering if i would run any problems with memory configuration because they are not the same size. i know there might be some issues because they were not made in the same batch so they might be a slight differences. thanks for any answers.

M5A88-v evo
amd phenom ii x4 965 be
rosewill hive 750
radeon hd 6850
as of now G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
antec 300/w case mods

InvalidError

Titan
While it isn't the preferred configuration, it is technically possible to pair different size DIMMs from different vendors but some boards and BIOS are pickier than others.

Conversely, there are boards picky enough that they won't run even with all-identical DIMMs so even getting all-matched is not a guarantee of success.

Only way to know for sure is to try... unless the MoBo/DIMM manufacturer explicitly lists the other as incompatible, in which case you know without trying that it most likely won't work.

Future mainstream Intel CPUs will not have that "problem" since they will only support a single DIMM per channel.