Can I Search Folders using Boolean operands?

peter

Good day everyone.

In some folders, there are several thousand documents that literally anyone
can dump files into, including emails. With that being the case, searching
is a critical function, but I often find that one or two word searches aren't
effective and I would like to be able to do Boolean searches (like window AND
building). If I type in window building, it performs an OR function as a
default. Also, the NOT function would be helpful also. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

--
Have a great day everyone!

Try Agent Ransack instead?

Peter wrote:

> Good day everyone.
>
> In some folders, there are several thousand documents that literally anyone
> can dump files into, including emails. With that being the case, searching
> is a critical function, but I often find that one or two word searches aren't
> effective and I would like to be able to do Boolean searches (like window AND
> building). If I type in window building, it performs an OR function as a
> default. Also, the NOT function would be helpful also. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Hi,

Using the builtin command line tool findstr.exe, you can do this (with
regular expression).

As long as the two words you want to search for is on the same line,
you can also use Agent Ransack (not command line, but GUI based)

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard), as text,
comma separated text or tab separated text. E.g. Excel reads comma separated
text (csv) very well.

When searching for text inside files, Agent Ransack is also able to do a
preview of the lines the text was found in (just do a single click on the
found file).
Also, you can use regular expression on both the file name part and the find
text in files part.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: