[SOLVED] Can I swap Nvidia RTX 3070 in my Nvidia 1660 Ti spot?

Aug 1, 2020
Hello everyone quick question, building a new computer next year but I really would like to jump on the new 3070 card when it drops, as I have trouble running some modern games in 1080p on high or ultra settings. I know this card will be held back by my current computer but im just wondering if it'll be able to be compatible and replace my 1660ti.

Computer Specs:

Gigabyte g1 Sniper Z170
i7-6700k
16 gigabytes of DDR4 2800 (I have 32 gigs on DDR3000 on order, well see if it works out as a upgrade)
Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750w (TP-750AH3CCG-B)

Right now I have a 8 pin connector on my 1660 Ti but to hook it up to the PSU I had to use a 6+2 pin. Wondering if it'll work on the 8 to 12 pin converter Nvidia is sending out with their cards or if I need a true 8. My problem is I ordered a prebuilt and it came with no extra cables or anything, just exactly what it needed to hook up what was in there. So when I upgraded 970 GTX to 1660 Ti my only option was to use the 6+2.

Any help is appreciated, and also if anyone knows if there's anyway to order extra power supply cables for my power supply that would be great, as I also want to add some more ssd's and lack the sata and power cords.

Aso if anyone happens to know, once the founder edition cards sell out does the value skyrocket? I was thinking about ordering one for my brother as a surprise but if his computer can't handle it was hoping I would just be able to resell it on ebay or something.

Solution
The new cards will come with a cable that goes straight from the PSU into the RTX cards, so no need to buy new cables. If you take a look at the pic below, you'll notice the power cables require two free 8-pin ports on the PSU side for the VGA/PCIe devices. Though we still don't exactly know what the 3070 will require, so keep an eye out for that.
Seasonic-NVIDIA-12-pin-power-cable-1-768x512.jpg

As for future prices of the card, since this RTX generation is getting pretty hyped up as much as if not more than AMD's 3000 CPU series (which had such a high demand that retailers raised the prices up by 100$ for a couple months, then dropped the prices below initial prices) it's highly likely the...
The new cards will come with a cable that goes straight from the PSU into the RTX cards, so no need to buy new cables. If you take a look at the pic below, you'll notice the power cables require two free 8-pin ports on the PSU side for the VGA/PCIe devices. Though we still don't exactly know what the 3070 will require, so keep an eye out for that.

As for future prices of the card, since this RTX generation is getting pretty hyped up as much as if not more than AMD's 3000 CPU series (which had such a high demand that retailers raised the prices up by 100$ for a couple months, then dropped the prices below initial prices) it's highly likely the prices of these cards will skyrocket for a moment too. Since a lot of people have nothing to do at home and PC building has been more popular than ever. HOWEVER THIS IS ALL SPECULATION. So do what you will.

If the 3070 doesn't work on your brother's computer, hold onto it and sell it when the time is right.

Reactions: Heart_Collector
Solution
Aug 1, 2020

As for future prices of the card, since this RTX generation is getting pretty hyped up as much as if not more than AMD's 3000 CPU series (which had such a high demand that retailers raised the prices up by 100$ for a couple months, then dropped the prices below initial prices) it's highly likely the prices of these cards will skyrocket for a moment too. Since a lot of people have nothing to do at home and PC building has been more popular than ever. HOWEVER THIS IS ALL SPECULATION. So do what you will.

If the 3070 doesn't work on your brother's computer, hold onto it and sell it when the time is right.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the info. I took a picture of my power supply just to make sure I will have compatibility.

gVMTAea.jpg

So on the right side where the 8 pin red bundle is plugged in is going directly to my 1660ti, so with the 8x2 to 12 cord both 8 pins would simply plug into the right side of the psu and I would use the 8 pin adapter to connect to the card from the 12 pin?

What are the portions on the left side of my power supply that look like they are inserts for the power modules but are flat, do those peel off and break open to reveal more plugs, or is it just a guide to what's on the right side? (I know slightly off topic just trying to learn!).

Thank you all for your contributions by the way, its appreciated.

I was also wondering if its a smarter idea to try and wait for the third party manufacturers cards to avoid potential bugs or problems in the first wave, anyone have random thoughts on that?