[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my laptop processor?

voidheimalpha

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
So i have an old laptop. It's a Compaq CQ43 and it's equiped with Intel Pentium B940 on G2 socket. Question is, can i upgrade my latop to core i5 2520m because it's using the same socket with my motherboard. And if it can, will it caused any Problem to my laptop, power consumption maybe, my battery will drain a lot faster maybe, or any other problem. Please answer my question and sorry for my bad english

Solution
Was the 2520m ever sold as standard with that laptop? Even though the socket and power requirements are the same doesn’t mean the motherboard BIOS will actually support the 2520m. If you can see the 2520m was sold on a version of the same laptop then the motherboard should have a compatible BIOS available, if it wasn’t an original cpu option there is a chance the BIOS won’t support it.
Was the 2520m ever sold as standard with that laptop? Even though the socket and power requirements are the same doesn’t mean the motherboard BIOS will actually support the 2520m. If you can see the 2520m was sold on a version of the same laptop then the motherboard should have a compatible BIOS available, if it wasn’t an original cpu option there is a chance the BIOS won’t support it.

Solution
Same a sizzling. It may still work though, as chips from the same generation could share firmware and OEMs would not waste time removing unused code, and if you find a compatible chip for cheap it's worth a shot.
I'm more worried about cooling though.