Can I upgrade Windows 10 from an OEM to retail without having to reinstall?

Yiannopoufish

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I've tried to find the answer to this question but I still do not know. Please can somebody just give me an answer with no added confusing stuff? The OEM was pre-installed on this pre-built PC and I want to upgrade it to a retail copy so I can upgrade my CPU without having to reinstall Windows.

Thanks in advance

Solution

Yes, you can upgrade to a Windows 10 retail from an OEM.
Just go to the Control Panel, click on System and click Change product key link.
Type or copy the new product key.

Did you know that changing the CPU will not affect activation?

And even if you make enough changes (motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc) to prompt reactivation you can use chat support to get it reactivated. At least I have done several times after replacing...
Unless you going from a home to pro version or changing 32- to 64 bit I don't see why you want to do this.

Oem vs retail version of Home or pro are basically the same.

If you need to go from home to pro, you absolutely need to reinstall, same for 32 bit to 64 bit.

If you have oem home and put in a home retail key, you just need to change the key and it should work, but you are wasting the OEM key as you won't be able to use it afterwards.

Yiannopoufish

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

I want to replace my CPU. I thought you couldn't change parts in an OEM system.

Yes, you can upgrade to a Windows 10 retail from an OEM.
Just go to the Control Panel, click on System and click Change product key link.
Type or copy the new product key.

Did you know that changing the CPU will not affect activation?

And even if you make enough changes (motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc) to prompt reactivation you can use chat support to get it reactivated. At least I have done several times after replacing motherboard + GPU or motherboard + RAM + CPU.

Solution

Yiannopoufish

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

Even if it is an OEM? I heard that with an OEM you can't replace any major hardware (CPU, RAM, Motherboard) without reinstalling Windows.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

Changing the CPU is fine. As long as the other stuff are the same. Don't go changing the motherboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is no longer true. Changing the CPU alone will not affect the current install at all, activation will remain unchanged as well (as the others have pointed out).

Yiannopoufish

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

So, just to be clear, I can change anything besides the motherboard and not have to reinstall Windows?

I have done 100s of times without triggering activation.
Only when I change the motherboard, even with the same model, then it does triggering activation.

Yiannopoufish

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

So yes

Yes.
In case, for some weird reason, activation is triggered then see this

Yiannopoufish

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for clearing up all of my confusions. Thanks everyone!