Question Can i use 70% alcohol to clean keyboard ?

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
Im a bit crazy about hygiene so im used to clean everything with 70% alcohol.I used to clean my old regular keyboard with alcohol but letters were rubbed off,im not sure if it due to alcohol or everyday usage.This keyboard is mechanical and is it safe to use 70% alcohol for cleaning ?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Im a bit crazy about hygiene so im used to clean everything with 70% alcohol.I used to clean my old regular keyboard with alcohol but letters were rubbed off,im not sure if it due to alcohol or everyday usage.This keyboard is mechanical and is it safe to use 70% alcohol for cleaning ?
I’d rather use a damp cloth with some water. I’ve used 90% alcohol to clean things before and sometimes it can stain plastic with little marks on it. When I use alcohol for cleaning, it’s only for removing permanent marker or something like it. As long as you don’t soak the keyboard, water should be fine.

It really depends on the type of plastic. For example your drugstore 70% alcohol will cause severe crazing and cracking of clear acrylic, which many motorcycle helmet owners have discovered the hard way. Drugstore 3% hydrogen peroxide and household bleach each can damage acetal and Nylon 6/6 as on a Glock.

I have to laugh at those shavers with the special disinfecting cycle requiring special proprietary fluids--I am not sharing a shaver with anyone else and am not afraid of my own germs. Likewise, if it's your own keyboard then why does it need disinfecting? If however you work in shifts and other people in the office may be using your keyboard, then clean away--if the letters come off then your employer should replace it.

BTW alcohol will soften many paints and silicones, so rubbing when it is soft can indeed remove painted-on letters over time. One solution is to buy a better keyboard with double-shot injected keys where the lettering is a solid plastic color all the way through the keycap (this is also how keyboards with backlit lettering are made--the font color is clear plastic instead)

better use 95% alcohol, if use 75% one, don't use to much of them to do the clean, because too much water inside it..

Electronic manufacturing, PCB assembly, Components stock/sourcing.
https://www.pcbsino.com
Well sure, if you want to clean off flux from a PCB the more concentrated alcohol works better. However it is much worse at disinfecting things than 70%, particularly from viruses.

But I understand you just wanted to spam your company which uses alcohol differently than the subject of this thread.

D

Deleted member 14196

I would just use one of those Clorox wipes if you want to disinfect the keyboard, and it said above, don’t worry about the keys if it’s your employers keyboard

wipe it down with Clorox and wipe it with a clean paper towel afterwards to get rid of everything

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
It should be fine, but dont do it too often especially if the plastics are like acrylic. If its PBT or ABS. Itll be fine. Especially if the letters are not printed but rather a pass through of light.

Ive cleaned my keyboard with alcohol a few times and I havent seen any negative effects. Just do it in moderation and DON'T drown your keyboard. Use a cotton ball and then dry it immediately after.

And please, Don't let alcohol seap into the PCB of the keyboard. You know its motherboard of sorts. Other than that youll be fine.