[SOLVED] Can I use a 6 pin cable for a 6+2 power supply?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 13, 2020
I have a Corsair 750 Watt CX750F power supply unit, it seems like it has four PCIE/CPU ports. And mygraphics card requires 6 pin+8 pin power supply.
I know I can use two 6+2-pin PCIe connectors for the GPU, but for the 6 pin port of the GPU, I need to leave the 2 pin dangling, it just looks ugly...
So I would like to ask, instead of two 6+2-pin PCIe connectors, can I just use a 6 pin cable and a 8 pin cable for my PSU?

Solution
So if the extra 2 pin are just grounded, why couldn't I just use a 6 pin connector? I am just curious about it:unsure:
So now the answer is I can not use a 6 pin for the 6+2 PSU, rihgt?

Because they're "sense" pins. They allow the graphics card to know that a newer, more capable PSU is in use. If you don't have the two pins populated, odds are the card will not POST because it will assume you have an old, janky PSU.

An 8-pin PCIe connector doesn't actually deliver more power. Even a 6-pin can easily deliver 150W. But IF the PSU manufacturer is following spec, then using the 8-pin points to precautions being taken like using at least 18g wire and not having an OCP that will trip if there's a 300W load on the cable.
Ok. So, IMHO, two cables doesn't look as good as one with a pig-tail. I would use the one cable and just get rid of the second +2.

And I never said that you couldn't use JUST the six pin for the second connector. I was saying that if the graphics card needs an 8-pin, you should use at least that one 8-pin. No reason for the second connector to also have an 8-pin if it only uses a 6-pin. :D

So if you do want to do it with two cables, just use the extractor tool, pop out ALL of the pins from the first connector. Cut ALL of the double wires leading to the second connector and pop the pins back in. That will give you your own custom made one to one connector that still matches all of the other PSU's cables.

And no... You do not need BOTH an 8-pin and a 4-pin unless you're doing some serious overclocking.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Ok. So, IMHO, two cables doesn't look as good as one with a pig-tail. I would use the one cable and just get rid of the second +2.

And I never said that you couldn't use JUST the six pin for the second connector. I was saying that if the graphics card needs an 8-pin, you should use at least that one 8-pin. No reason for the second connector to also have an 8-pin if it only uses a 6-pin. :D

So if you do want to do it with two cables, just use the extractor tool, pop out ALL of the pins from the first connector. Cut ALL of the double wires leading to the second connector and pop the pins back in. That will give you your own custom made one to one connector that still matches all of the other PSU's cables.

And no... You do not need BOTH an 8-pin and a 4-pin unless you're doing some serious overclocking.

Can you explain the need of 8 pins to begin with ? why dont they just increase the AMPS on cables ? and use the right cable for it ?even gaming notebook power adapters upto 250 watts uses simple 3 pins cable and it is not that thick at all.

post #21 does not say why the guys behind the hardware specs put more pins .. as you said 6 pins can deliver 150 watts yet they keep demanding us using huge and ugly and not practical 8 pins. Actually they could make 6 pins deliver 250 watts ...

Then I guess I don't understand your question.

There are standards. Standards are in place to ensure compatibility. 6-pin means 75W. 8-pin means 150W. Not sure what's not clear there.

If they said "just use 6-pin because it can deliver enough power", you know what happens? Some door knob uses some cheap PSU with a 6-pin PCIe that has 20g wire and a 10A max current rating on the +12V rail.

You seem to think that there's actually some accountability in the industry for crooked manufacturers to not put out garbage or that customers have some sort of recourse when garbage components burn down their house. The answer is, "no".

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Then I guess I don't understand your question.

There are standards. Standards are in place to ensure compatibility. 6-pin means 75W. 8-pin means 150W. Not sure what's not clear there.

If they said "just use 6-pin because it can deliver enough power", you know what happens? Some door knob uses some cheap PSU with a 6-pin PCIe that has 20g wire and a 10A max current rating on the +12V rail.

You seem to think that there's actually some accountability in the industry for crooked manufacturers to not put out garbage or that customers have some sort of recourse when garbage components burn down their house. The answer is, "no".

... I am talking about the standards themselves and why the put that standards with more pins.

OFC when they standardize 6 pins to take like 250 watts , the power supplies will also follow that standard ..

I still dont see the reason behind adding more pins in the standard designs.

Actually some prebuilt PCs ignore all the standards all together and use fewer cables ... Like HP leaving the the huge 24 pins cable in their PCs , and like MSI small compact gaming PCs , etc ..

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
... I am talking about the standards themselves and why the put that standards with more pins.

OFC when they standardize 6 pins to take like 250 watts , the power supplies will also follow that standard ..

I still dont see the reason behind adding more pins in the standard designs.

Actually some prebuilt PCs ignore all the standards all together and use fewer cables ... Like HP leaving the the huge 24 pins cable in their PCs , and like MSI small compact gaming PCs , etc ..
You are getting of topic, maybe something for a PM?