Question Can I use a 6-pin molex to sata power adapter to power a 3.5" hard drive?

May 12, 2024
Can I use a 6-pin molex to sata power adapter to power a 3.5" hard drive? The power supply doesn't have any sata power cables.

Normally adapters are not good.
But, a 3.5 HDD is so low power that I would normally have no problem using an adapter.
The problem is that a normal molex power lead is 4 pins intended for aux devices.
It is a lead from the psu.
Your 6 pin molex is strange.

And, a 2.5" SSD will take even less power and be considerably faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: RagingFred
May 12, 2024
From what I could find out it's a 500W SINGLE-RAIL ATX_12V - 8-pin PSU that is a proprietary Acer PSU.
It's in an Acer nitro 50-650.
Reason I'm bringing this up is that they have to sata connections on the motherboard, and 2 expansion slots in the case, but no sata power cables.....makes no since whatsoever.

May 12, 2024
I found this image showing that the power (7) is on the motherboard, but I've never seen a connector like that before.

image.png

I would advise against using those adapters. Once worked on a pc where one of those had been used and the adapter caused a fire. It was a case with a silver aluminum inside and the connector on the back of the hard drive actually melted. The fire had been bad enough that there were black scorch marks inside the case.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: RagingFred