[SOLVED] can i use a gtx 1050 ti on my dell optiplex 7010 dtoes anyone

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
I have been looking for a graphics card upgrade for my dell OptiPlex 7010 dt and I was planning to add a gtx 1050 ti. I found out the pc only says it supplies 50 watts to the gpu but my 60 watt 750 ti works fine in it and a lot of people are saying they have put 75 watt cards in it without problem. Will I be able to use a 1050 ti? Does anyone have personal experience doing this?

Solution
yes its the long skinny one next to the fat one
OK. Let's back up a bit. I'm used to most folks incorrectly calling their Dell mini tower a desktop. I thought you may have been doing the same thing. But you apparently know your PC. ;)
If you have the desktop, you are probably already aware you need a low-profile GTX 1050 Ti. And since you plan on replacing the PSU, you should be fine as long as the PSU's nameplate shows that the +12V rail(s) is at least rated for 17 amps. Have you located a replacement PSU for that PC yet? It isn't your standard ATX design. Dell may have used different mounting hole spacing than normal.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the GTX 1050 Ti (no 6-pin) will be fine. I've installed them in several Dell DTs. Even a low profile one in the SFF with its tiny 275W PSU. Never an issue. The 1050 Ti will turn a poor gamer into a half way decent one at 1080p or less.

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
Yes. The 50W disclaimer is more for deterring a user from using more card than the PSU can handle safely. The PCIe x16 slot has to be good for 75W itself. I presume you have the 275W or larger PSU in your DT?
it came with a 250 watt but I am planning on buying a 300 watt psu for it. Thanks for the help, i was worried id have to buy a whole new motherboard for a minute there

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
yes its the long skinny one next to the fat one
OK. Let's back up a bit. I'm used to most folks incorrectly calling their Dell mini tower a desktop. I thought you may have been doing the same thing. But you apparently know your PC. ;)
If you have the desktop, you are probably already aware you need a low-profile GTX 1050 Ti. And since you plan on replacing the PSU, you should be fine as long as the PSU's nameplate shows that the +12V rail(s) is at least rated for 17 amps. Have you located a replacement PSU for that PC yet? It isn't your standard ATX design. Dell may have used different mounting hole spacing than normal.

Solution

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
I had this psu recommended to me: Silverstone 300W TX300 TFX Series 80 Plus Bronze

TRENDING THREADS