Can i use a hdd with a constant 100% usage as secondary hdd?

antonsdam

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I have a laptop from 2012.
A few weeks ago it started freezing (once every 2 days)
I figured the hdd might be the problem (constant 100%)
Now let's get to the question :) Can i use the drive from my laptop as storage drive in my desktop?
Of course i won't save any important files, but just as storage ;)

Solution
The answer is yes provided that the desktop can provide the same drive connection (i.e., IDE, SATA plus power) either directly or with some adapter.

And you may need some extra brackets to mount the 2.5 inch laptop drive into the 3.5" desktop bay. However, the desktop may already have a small bay available.

You will need to look inside the desktop case for connections and room.

However, you should run some diagnostic tests on the drive via the drive's manufacturer diagnostic software or some other utility first.

Could be (and most likely) that the drive is failing and knowing that I would probably not use it at all - even for unimportant data. Who knows what might happen with some ill-timed failure....

Not worth the...

Ralston18

Titan
The answer is yes provided that the desktop can provide the same drive connection (i.e., IDE, SATA plus power) either directly or with some adapter.

And you may need some extra brackets to mount the 2.5 inch laptop drive into the 3.5" desktop bay. However, the desktop may already have a small bay available.

You will need to look inside the desktop case for connections and room.

However, you should run some diagnostic tests on the drive via the drive's manufacturer diagnostic software or some other utility first.

Could be (and most likely) that the drive is failing and knowing that I would probably not use it at all - even for unimportant data. Who knows what might happen with some ill-timed failure....

Not worth the effort and risk. Take the drive apart for the magnets. They can be useful. :)

Solution

antonsdam

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Ok, thank you very much <3 I am always surprised of how awesome this community is! :)