Question Can i use m.2 PCIE X4 adapter on my motherboard

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Hello

I have pretty old motherboard and i will be updating my pc after christmas but i am really lacking free space and i thought about buying 1tb nvme m.2 ssd that i would buy anyway for new pc and use it on my old one until then with pcie adapter card. What i am still a little worried about is that will it actually work on my old pc.

My motherboard is MSI H87-G41 PC Mate, it does not have dedicated NVME slots on the board. It also does not have PCIE X4 slot but it has 2 PCIE X16 slots. In one of the slots i have GTX 1060 6GB and i was thinking about putting the adapter in that another X16 slot. Will it limit my GPU in any way? I have heard that on some motherboard X16 slots share lanes or something.

The combination that i though about buying is:
ICY Box IB-PCI209 2x M.2 SSD to SATA III and PCIe 3.0 x4 Host
Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB

Will they work well and do i have any speed loss for SSD or GPU?

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I would get a cheaper 1TB Sata SSD, in most scenarios you won´t see any differences between M.2 and Sata

often adapters don´t work that good and the theoretical speed won´t be reached

There is a huge speed difference of normal sata ssd and nvme ssd. I often copy large files so this speed will come in handy. I dont believe sata ssd at maybe 600mb per second write speed will not be different than 3000mb per second write speed when copying large files and loading up games.

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
you will have to use two nvme drives to see eventually 3000Mb/s of write speed
just a little understanding why I don´t see the need of a nvme drive, if the cost and eventual problems with an adapter is more than with a simple SATA SSD
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLhp4MZfuiNGQLQvHu78CJRRpSdrunjRIH&v=l6Y6VdXO5es

If you really shift large files regularly, it might be fine for you

Well, okay, even if i dont get 3000mb per socond speed, the nvme ssd in this video was almost 3 times faster when copying large file. And since i copy a lot of big files due to work, this sounds really nice.

And i remind you that it will be temporary, half a year max, then i will buy motherboard with m.2 slots and use this drive there. I just need to know if it will work until then, even though i may not get all of the speed right now. And will it limit my gpu in another 16X pci slot.