Question Can I use my current router/modem with a different ISP?

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
My current ISP is CenturyLink, I use a DSL modem/router with their name on it that I purchased on eBay (Technicolor C2000T). I was recently approved for Starlink. I’m wondering if I can put the router/modem Starlink provides into bridge mode, and using Starlink’s ethernet adapter, plug it into the WLAN Port on the Technicolor C2000T so that I don't have to change anything in my home network?

kanewolf

Titan
My current ISP is CenturyLink, I use a DSL modem/router with their name on it that I purchased on eBay (Technicolor C2000T). I was recently approved for Starlink. I’m wondering if I can put the router/modem Starlink provides into bridge mode, and using Starlink’s ethernet adapter, plug it into the WLAN Port on the Technicolor C2000T so that I don't have to change anything in my home network?
Maybe. But I wouldn't recommend it. That is a 2.4Ghz WIFI only router. You can do much better than that for cheap on E-Bay. Get an Asus AC68U and run Merlin firmware -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ You will be much happier.
Also, you need to ensure your installer knows you want to use the Starlink in bridge mode.

Reactions: Eddie Castle
I don't have starlink, but I think I remember people talking about using their own routers on Starlink. If memory serves, you can use your own router just fine, but you need to forward some ports or set up a VLAN or something to get the starlink phone APP to work correctly with your own router.