Question Can I Use my D-Link DIR-882 as a "wireless card"?

gamer604

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Hello, I'm not sure if this is a silly question but is it possible to use my D-Link DIR-882 as a "wireless card" for my pc that has no wireless card in it?

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to get a USB driven wireless adapter/dongle and leave the router be as a router. No question is silly to a newcomer but in this instance you're trying to go around a very big mountain when you could just go through it with a tunnel(get my drift?).

I though this was another of the I want to use my antique router posts but that is a very fancy router to use a stupid nic card.

Still I think the answer is still the same it does not appear to have the feature you need. I only did a quick look so maybe it does.

It needs a feature that allows it to act as a end device. This is normally called client-bridge mode. Many device that have this ability can also function as repeaters but some call this extender. I do not think that router has it. In fact I saw notes that it does not even have the other form of bridge mode called AP. This would the reverse of what you need even if it had it.

Now maybe dd-wrt supports this but you are quickly making a very complex solution for something you can just buy a nic card to solve.

Reactions: gamer604

gamer604

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
I though this was another of the I want to use my antique router posts but that is a very fancy router to use a stupid nic card.

Still I think the answer is still the same it does not appear to have the feature you need. I only did a quick look so maybe it does.

It needs a feature that allows it to act as a end device. This is normally called client-bridge mode. Many device that have this ability can also function as repeaters but some call this extender. I do not think that router has it. In fact I saw notes that it does not even have the other form of bridge mode called AP. This would the reverse of what you need even if it had it.

Now maybe dd-wrt supports this but you are quickly making a very complex solution for something you can just buy a nic card to solve.
Thank you! I appreciate it!
Cheers!