Can I use my old HP pavillion case to build a new desk top?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I want to try and build my own PC. Can I use my old 2008 HP Pavillion case? My system crashed...the motherboard is bad according to the repair tech. He said not to sink another penny into it. I am interested in learning how to build my own system and was hoping I could use the case. Any ideas out there?

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

It's a new MB...so that should not be the problem. Hopefully.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
OK...The Win 7 "Install now" window is up. There are also two statements. What to know before installing windows and Repair your computer. Any thoughts on what I should select?

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

LOL! Maybe I should delete that so I hide my ignorance! Shakes head at herself. :ouch:

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You can read the part about "what to know" but you should be able to go right into the load process.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

When you get to that part of the process, you will have some options to keep or remove existing partitions. I suggest you do away with all (probably have 2) and then create a new single partition. Win 7 will then pop up a message about making another partition for system files (this is a good thing) and will then proceed to format the new partition and install the OS.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

So it's asking where I want to install windows. It is showing Partition 1: HP and Partition 2: Factory Image.

Should I select partition 1?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, do not select the first partition. This is the part where you need to remove the previous stuff. Do you want to be talked through the process? If so, private message me a phone number and I'll call you right back.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
My new computer (well partly new anyway) is now downloading and installing updates! My screen looks all shiny and new...not cluttered up with all those things that come with the store bought systems!

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
A quick question for you COLGeek...During the setup it never asked me about creating another partition which you mentioned. Is that going to be a problem? Everything seems to be working...My Computer window shows 1 HDD and 3 removable storage drives. System properties shows 4 GB of RAM...with 3.75 GB usable.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
OK but what about the partitions, do you still have two or did you combine them.
and what size does C: report.? (how many GB's)

You know I think we tried to combine them...however...the HDD only shows435 GB free of 465...It is supposed to be 512 GB. I am not sure if it really matters since we would probably never use all that space anyway. We expanded the HDD after deleting the partition.

ETA...But it does not look like the additional space was actually added in.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
you can always add a software partitioning program to clean up whatever misses were made at time of install..

What software is that? I actually did not register the win 7 yet so I could try and reinstall again. Or maybe I should just leave it what with my skills and all :pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.