[SOLVED] Can I use only the NZXT Kraken pump header for RGB?

Aug 12, 2020
Hi guys, I'm a newb here and apologies if someone has already asked this before. I did a search but couldn't find a related post.

Basiclaly I don't like to take a risk with an AIO water cooler since there is a possibility of a leak and damaging PC components. I'm using a non-K Intel CPU so no overclocking as well, and don't have any issues with the stock cooler in regards to performance.

I got bitten by the RGB bug recently and I really like the infinity mirror design of the NZXT Kraken pump header. I know it is a silly thing to do but just wondering if it is possible to use the pump header only just for RGB?
(My plan is to get the cheapest m22 model and remove pumps and rad and then attach the header on top of the stock cooler :LOL:)

Solution
The RGB LEDs on the NZXT Kraken models, are controlled by an internal USB 2.0 header.

In theory you could remove the parts for the USB connector and the infinity mirror and use it without the pump. You need to connect the internal USB 2.0 header, and most likely the SATA power connector to power the RGB components. The RGB would be controlled as usual with the NZXT Cam software.

However, installing them on the Intel stock cooler, could very likely obstruct airflow and reduce the performance of the Intel cooler, since it draws the air from the direction where you'd want to put the NZXT RGB components and infinity mirror. It wouldn't look particularly "clean" either, with all the additional cables (SATA power and USB 2.0 cable)
The RGB LEDs on the NZXT Kraken models, are controlled by an internal USB 2.0 header.

In theory you could remove the parts for the USB connector and the infinity mirror and use it without the pump. You need to connect the internal USB 2.0 header, and most likely the SATA power connector to power the RGB components. The RGB would be controlled as usual with the NZXT Cam software.

However, installing them on the Intel stock cooler, could very likely obstruct airflow and reduce the performance of the Intel cooler, since it draws the air from the direction where you'd want to put the NZXT RGB components and infinity mirror. It wouldn't look particularly "clean" either, with all the additional cables (SATA power and USB 2.0 cable)

Reactions: JinjiBiris
Solution
Aug 12, 2020

Thanks for your quick response. I guess you're right on airflow obstruction. Wish there is an air cooler with a similar infinity mirror design :(