[SOLVED] Can I zip a file while its filename is also hidden ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I'd like to zip some files with password while the filenames are also hidden from view unless correct password is entered, is it possible? I'm using 7-zip. At the moment, before unzipping, I can still view the full filename

Solution
I'd like to zip some files with password while the filenames are also hidden from view unless correct password is entered, is it possible? I'm using 7-zip. At the moment, before unzipping, I can still view the full filename
Yes. Simply check the "Encrypt file names" option when creating the archive. This does exactly what you're asking:
  • You can open the archive (before unzipping) but you need to the password to view the filenames beforehand.
  • You cannot view the filenames without first entering the password.
Edit: Apparently it's only available with the 7Z format, so choose the 7Z format. It's not available in the .ZIP format, at least as far as 7-Zip is concerned. I knew there was some reason everyone else...

gardenman

Splendid
Yes. Simply check the "Encrypt file names" option when creating the archive. This does exactly what you're asking:
  • You can open the archive (before unzipping) but you need to the password to view the filenames beforehand.
  • You cannot view the filenames without first entering the password.
Edit: Apparently it's only available with the 7Z format, so choose the 7Z format. It's not available in the .ZIP format, at least as far as 7-Zip is concerned. I knew there was some reason everyone else was saying No. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: brannsiu
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS