[SOLVED] Can I zip a file while its filename is also hidden ?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I'd like to zip some files with password while the filenames are also hidden from view unless correct password is entered, is it possible? I'm using 7-zip. At the moment, before unzipping, I can still view the full filename

gardenman

Distinguished
I'd like to zip some files with password while the filenames are also hidden from view unless correct password is entered, is it possible? I'm using 7-zip. At the moment, before unzipping, I can still view the full filename
Yes. Simply check the "Encrypt file names" option when creating the archive. This does exactly what you're asking:
  • You can open the archive (before unzipping) but you need to the password to view the filenames beforehand.
  • You cannot view the filenames without first entering the password.
Edit: Apparently it's only available with the 7Z format, so choose the 7Z format. It's not available in the .ZIP format, at least as far as 7-Zip is concerned. I knew there was some reason everyone else was saying No. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: brannsiu
Nope, but there is a workaround. Zip the file and then hide the file name by using Alt0160 (can hide most file types) before hiding it. But you have to rename it before unzipping as I have no clue how to recover the file name.

gardenman

Distinguished
Yes. Simply check the "Encrypt file names" option when creating the archive. This does exactly what you're asking:
  • You can open the archive (before unzipping) but you need to the password to view the filenames beforehand.
  • You cannot view the filenames without first entering the password.
Edit: Apparently it's only available with the 7Z format, so choose the 7Z format. It's not available in the .ZIP format, at least as far as 7-Zip is concerned. I knew there was some reason everyone else was saying No. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: brannsiu

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS