Can it run DOOM?

TheRFSpark

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
My cousin is wanting to get the new game but Im not sure if his PC can play it. He plays on a laptop that has a FX 8800P Cpu and 8gbs of ram and R7 graphics with two gbs of memory. Is that enough to play it?

Solution
fallout 4 is a resource hog and probably wont compare to DOOM in those terms,
and if Vulcan API truly delivers, it should make "older/weak" hardware fine to game on, giving laptops some breathing chance again

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
anything will run on anything, its more a question of "how well"
as long as your cousin doesnt expect 300 FPS on Ultra settings he should be fine

and since Doom 2016 is using Vulcan, my bet is it would run fine even on a cardboard box with a brick powered by a potato ;)

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
fallout 4 is a resource hog and probably wont compare to DOOM in those terms,
and if Vulcan API truly delivers, it should make "older/weak" hardware fine to game on, giving laptops some breathing chance again

Solution

it should run fine on low or medium depends on if your laptop is 1080p or 720p if its 720p should run at medium just fine i recon especially if you pair it up with faster ram most laptop vendors use cheap 1600mhz ram 2133mhz ram would improve game performance as this is a apu

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
How about my configuration. Will I be able to run Doom 2016. This is what I have. It's a system I just put together early this year. Thanks.

I3-6100
Nvidia GTX 950
8gb Ram
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

you will run DOOM fine, again just dont expect crazy high fps

your core i3 have hyper threading so its sorta like an i5, and the clock speed is also fast enough

even your AMD cpu is within minimum requirements (which is always better than below)
only your GPU (gtx950) isnt exactly the best, your r9 280 is a tiny bit better, but, so again dont expect highest settings + high fps, but it will certainly run it fine at low-medium settings
and with Vulcan it might just even run a tad better than that,
waiting to see how Vulcan compares in performance to DX, if its as good as hoped

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

Thanks. I don't really care too much about FPS. With my old system, I usually played these type of games on medium settings at best. I like the DOOM series so this will be the first game I will buy in over a few years.