[SOLVED] Can long term CPU overheating lead to MB issues?

dbeasley690

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
When I first built my PC, I didn't research sufficiently about the cooler I purchased and ended up having an overheating problem with my CPU.
The problem went on un-noticed for a couple months before I managed to correct the issue.

The CPU has definitely been damaged(based on performance i cant seem to fix). when i first purchased it, it would run at its 4.7ghz Clock no issue, but now it locks itself at 4.2ghz
(I'm not sure if I can fix that, but if anyone has tips lemme know. I tried under-volting, but it didn't solve the issue.)
Since my CPU isn't running as it should, im looking into buying a new CPU, but im unsure if I should also buy a new motherboard.

Id rather not spend the extra money if I don't have too, but im not sure if the CPU overheating for as long as it did may have impacted the motherboard as well.
My current MB is compatible with 9000 series processors so thats why im looking to put off getting a new one

SPECS:
i7-8700k
Asrock B365 Phantom Gaming 4
Radeon 5700xt
16gb ddr4 ram

dbeasley690

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
your CPU is fine

I doubt that you could overclock your CPU to 4.7GHz because you don´t use an OC board

4.2GHz is normal for this CPU while under load with all cores

while i cant overclock, i should have clarified that it would boost to 4.7ghz when gaming. now the furthest the boost goes is 4.4ghz at idle

TRENDING THREADS