Question Can M.2 NVMe cause stuttering in games ?

Mar 5, 2023
For some reason games installed on my Crusial P3 Plus (PCiE 4.0) 3.0 in use as 10th Intel doesn't support 4.0, games stutter.

I9 10900k with Two tower cooling

16gb 3600mhz cl16 Crusial Ballistix

RTX 2070 strix

Z490 Msi gaming plus

While installing something, when this drive was used as main drive with Win 11 pro installed, used of it was 100% and everything else like system itself was so much laggy and slowed down. But the crystalinfo showing Good Health 99% and only 406h of running.

I tested this m.2 for any bad sectors, but the highest value of "ms" was 50ms, but a lot of them. But no any bad sectors at all.

I checked on my Motherboard manufacturer website, what storage is compatible with my mobo, and I ordered 500gb Samsung 980 for tomorrow.

But is this means that this M.2 is dying ? Because even after system reinstall the issue remains the same.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Might want to run Crucial's Storage Executive to see if the drive has any firmware updates pending. You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age, alongside how you're cooling the processor.

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
Mar 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Might want to run Crucial's Storage Executive to see if the drive has any firmware updates pending. You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age, alongside how you're cooling the processor.

Bios is the newest 7C75vAC, There's also no updates in CSE, Corsair HX1000W PSU (don't know the age, but not more than a year or y and half), Thermalright 7 pipes Dual Tower (max 82C while heavy gaming with high refresh rate) like WZ2 or Fortnite. And 65-70 on averge with no throttling. NZXT H5 Flow which even lowered temps, compared to my old GameMax with big infinity led mirror at front with little tine wholes for air intake.

For some reason games installed on my Crusial P3 Plus (PCiE 4.0) 3.0 in use as 10th Intel doesn't support 4.0, games stutter.

I9 10900k with Two tower cooling

16gb 3600mhz cl16 Crusial Ballistix

RTX 2070 strix

Z490 Msi gaming plus

While installing something, when this drive was used as main drive with Win 11 pro installed, used of it was 100% and everything else like system itself was so much laggy and slowed down. But the crystalinfo showing Good Health 99% and only 406h of running.

I tested this m.2 for any bad sectors, but the highest value of "ms" was 50ms, but a lot of them. But no any bad sectors at all.

I checked on my Motherboard manufacturer website, what storage is compatible with my mobo, and I ordered 500gb Samsung 980 for tomorrow.

But is this means that this M.2 is dying ? Because even after system reinstall the issue remains the same.
Run a pass of crystaldiskmark on the m.2 and get some numbers.

Now move the m.2 to the other slot and retest with cdm.

Mar 5, 2023
Run a pass of crystaldiskmark on the m.2 and get some numbers.

Now move the m.2 to the other slot and retest with cdm.

Well, I found my old and forgotten M.2 Integral 128gb. So I put in at the Crusial's place (PCIE 1) and Crusial (PCIE 2), and things started to being quiet funny. Because system performing much faster and more responsive on this old one, even games (at least Fortnite cuz have no much of space for other games) runs without stuttering. At least this bad stuttering as it was on Crusial. But the stuttering remains the same even after moving Crusial to different slot.

But when you look at SS from Crystal mark it wierd, cuz Crusial runs much faster, and there is something bad with Write speed with this old one.

INTEGRAL PCIE1 (No stutter)
330171928_1915191388832240_505842594704620076_n.jpg

CRUSIAL PCIE2 (Still Stutter) Previosly intalled on PCIE1
330525086_918107776049268_6453982435945723236_n.jpg

Well, I found my old and forgotten M.2 Integral 128gb. So I put in at the Crusial's place (PCIE 1) and Crusial (PCIE 2), and things started to being quiet funny. Because system performing much faster and more responsive on this old one, even games (at least Fortnite cuz have no much of space for other games) runs without stuttering. At least this bad stuttering as it was on Crusial. But the stuttering remains the same even after moving Crusial to different slot.

But when you look at SS from Crystal mark it wierd, cuz Crusial runs much faster, and there is something bad with Write speed with this old one.

INTEGRAL PCIE1 (No stutter)
330171928_1915191388832240_505842594704620076_n.jpg

CRUSIAL PCIE2 (Still Stutter) Previosly intalled on PCIE1
330525086_918107776049268_6453982435945723236_n.jpg
Work with just the crucial.

Show a screenshot from the crucial in pcie1.

Then a screenshot with the crucial in pcie2.

Mar 5, 2023
That says the crucial is running fine.

You might want to free up another 20GB of space on the OS disk.

Well that's only temporary, cuz I will get a new 500gb Samsung 980.
And on slower 128Gb the game runs way smoothly without those haevy stutters.

But yesterday I have noticed, that VRM Section on my mobo is quite noise, like haevy coil whine, but only when idle, like doing basics. When run some benchmarks, it stopping.
But also, the defective or dying VRM can couse some dips in framerate ? Or MSI mobos are just bad in terms of VRM quality ? Cuz I remeber once I had MSI mobo with the same issue, but sended back and choosed gigabyte instead.

Is there any way to test it somehow ?

Well that's only temporary, cuz I will get a new 500gb Samsung 980.
And on slower 128Gb the game runs way smoothly without those haevy stutters.

But yesterday I have noticed, that VRM Section on my mobo is quite noise, like haevy coil whine, but only when idle, like doing basics. When run some benchmarks, it stopping.
But also, the defective or dying VRM can couse some dips in framerate ? Or MSI mobos are just bad in terms of VRM quality ? Cuz I remeber once I had MSI mobo with the same issue, but sended back and choosed gigabyte instead.

Is there any way to test it somehow ?
No idea about the whine.

Play with windows game mode on/off see if it makes a diff with the stutter.