[SOLVED] Can metal shavings from screw damage mobo?

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
Just installed my new M.2 SSD in my new Thinkpad and the screw was very difficult to undo.

Some metal shavings came off while unscrewing. I blew all I could see away and looked carefully at the area to see if I could see any more.

Am I being paranoid? My laptop powers on fine, but I don't want it to suddenly short the motherboard.

Solution
I would use a slightly damp cloth to take the shavings off the board instead of "blowing them away".

It's OK if it is working and would probably not cause any issues.

If you're really worried I guess you can take it to a service center and they can have a look or perhaps clean it. The odds of them shorting things is kind of slim but if they do happen the consequences might be dire.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I would use a slightly damp cloth to take the shavings off the board instead of "blowing them away".

If you're really worried I guess you can take it to a service center and they can have a look or perhaps clean it. The odds of them shorting things is kind of slim but if they do happen the consequences might be dire.

Reactions: Globber
Solution

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014

I picked out the ones I could see, then went over the area with compressed air. I do agree, a damp cloth would've been better. I didn't use a drill so hopefully they would've just gone around that area.

I think I'm just being paranoid. But a service center may be able to take a look if I keep worrying about it.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I picked out the ones I could see, then went over the area with compressed air. I do agree, a damp cloth would've been better. I didn't use a drill so hopefully they would've just gone around that area.

I think I'm just being paranoid. But a service center may be able to take a look if I keep worrying about it.

Exactly, I mentioned that so that you can take your mind off it.

I know being constantly worried about something is not a happy feeling.