Can monitor or adapters screw up laptop ports?

Mahesh Abnave

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
I have Lenovo Yoga C940. It has two Thundebolt Type C ports. I use one of it for connecting external monitor (Dell P2419h ) using Lenovo USB-C 3-in-1 Travel Hub through HDMI cable. Once I connected my laptop to very old (at least 5-6 years old) monitor with VGA input. (This was available at my college.) It worked. But a day after, my port stopped working. I could not even charge the laptop through this port. Fortunately, after a week this port came back alive. I used this port normally for at least a year. A month back, I tried to connect another old mointor to the same port through same Lenovo USB-C Hub and through VGA. And exact same thing happened. Port died for 4-5 days and is now back alive.

Now am guessing why is this happening. Is USB-C Hub a culprit?

Last time I connected with Lenovo support, but my port came back to life when the support personnel was checking the laptop. Currently this port is already alive. What should I do? Change the hub? Or never use old monitor or never connect throught VGA?

Ralston18

Titan
Windows OS?

On the laptop take a look at Reliability History. Reliability History presents a list of error codes, warnings, and informational events in a time line format.

Look for a pattern of entries that match the times when the port(s) stopped working and then began working again.

A year back is too long ago but the results from a month ago and now may prove helpful.

Mahesh Abnave

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
I must be after 2nd October (not even month back!). But nothing serious is there in Reliability History:
image.png

image.png

image.png