Question Can my computer use an all-in-one headphone/microphone with one jack?

hbenthow

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
My HP computer has two audio jacks in the front. One has a headphone symbol on it, but the other has both a headphone and microphone symbol. Is the one with both symbols capable of utilizing a one-plug, all-in-one headphone microphone headset, or is it merely capable of using either a microphone or a pair of headphones (but not transmitting audio in both directions simultaneously)?

The image below is of a computer with the same symbols by the jacks as mine has.

Quarkzquarkz

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
No. The headphone jack has no microphone signal, only audio and vice versa for the microphone input. The desktop itself utilizes 2 separate signals for this very reason. Thus, putting in one or the other will not work. Even if you had a headphone jack that contained all-in-one so to speak, it still wouldn't work because the printed circuit board itself has 2 separate signals dedicated for each specific input. Good luck!

hbenthow

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
No. The headphone jack has no microphone signal, only audio and vice versa for the microphone input. The desktop itself utilizes 2 separate signals for this very reason. Thus, putting in one or the other will not work. Even if you had a headphone jack that contained all-in-one so to speak, it still wouldn't work because the printed circuit board itself has 2 separate signals dedicated for each specific input. Good luck!
So one of the jacks (the one with both symbols) can take either a microphone of a headphone - just not both signals at once, correct?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS