[SOLVED] Can my RTX 2060 run a 1440p 165hz monitor?

Nov 6, 2020
I was thinking about getting a 1440p 165hz monitor for my setup but there are a lot of mixed opinions if RTX 2060 can run a 1440p 165hz monitor.

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core

Wanted Monitor: VG27AQ

Solution
Just a minor point here that your computer may at times be able to push beyond 165 fps, but in those cases your monitor is the bottleneck with 165hz. This make absolutely no difference in practice as 165 fps/hz is more than enough. Anything beyond 100 will not matter unless you play professionally and even then it is somewhat debatable. The human eye will not see a difference, this has been tested.

As for your rig it's certainly a mean little machine! Should play very well but 1440p is certainly borderline. I very nearly got this same card, but in the end I opted for an RTX 3060 Ti, because I decided that I will game at 1440p from now on. I've not had time to play a lot yet, but for example Control with Ultra settings including Ray...
I was thinking about getting a 1440p 165hz monitor for my setup but there are a lot of mixed opinions if RTX 2060 can run a 1440p 165hz monitor.

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core

Wanted Monitor: VG27AQ
The reason there are mixed reviews on it is because the answer is yes but NO it's able to keep up with middle aged to older titles at that rate and some newer few but few. The reason being is it's a lower end high tier card. That's not meant to push the limits like the 2070 and 80

Nov 6, 2020
The reason there are mixed reviews on it is because the answer is yes but NO it's able to keep up with middle aged to older titles at that rate and some newer few but few. The reason being is it's a lower end high tier card. That's not meant to push the limits like the 2070 and 80
So is it able to run the monitor?

Koivu11

Honorable
Jun 26, 2014
Just a minor point here that your computer may at times be able to push beyond 165 fps, but in those cases your monitor is the bottleneck with 165hz. This make absolutely no difference in practice as 165 fps/hz is more than enough. Anything beyond 100 will not matter unless you play professionally and even then it is somewhat debatable. The human eye will not see a difference, this has been tested.

As for your rig it's certainly a mean little machine! Should play very well but 1440p is certainly borderline. I very nearly got this same card, but in the end I opted for an RTX 3060 Ti, because I decided that I will game at 1440p from now on. I've not had time to play a lot yet, but for example Control with Ultra settings including Ray Tracing runs very nicely. At times with hefty action the fps goes down to the 60's, which I don't even notice.

You have the same CPU as I do, and your GPU is most certainly the bottleneck, especially gaming at 1440p, which requires a lot more from the GPU than the CPU. If I was you I'd opt for a good quality 1080p screen if you are playing the newest games, should look amazing on a 27'', I'd go 1440p only with a slightly larger screen if it was up to me, and if you wish, you may upgrade your GPU in a few years and you should again be good for several years.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution