[SOLVED] can old laptop upgrade WiFi Card to AX200 (WiFi 6), any dependency?

Aug 19, 2020
Below is my laptop information:
Brand: ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP500LN
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U 1.70GHz
RAM: M471B5173EB0-YK0 - Samsung 1x 4GB DDR3L-1600
NIC: Mediatek MT7630E 802.11bgn 1T1R

As I know for AX201, it only support Intel 10th gen CPU, is that any dependency or something I should pay attention if I upgrade to AX200 ? Thanks.

Solution
As far as I can tell it is a CNVi card. The 802.11ax chipset is on the CPU itself. The card itself is just a companion piece providing signal processor, analog and RF functions.
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cnvi

You would need a card which works in the same slot. But is the total WLAN package (think something with a Broadcom or Atheros chip). Is physically the same size. Plus has the same number of antenna leads (hopefully in the same order). If the laptop is just a cheap 802.11n (2.4Ghz only). It probably doesn't have the correct antenna installed for 802.11ax or ac.
As far as I can tell it is a CNVi card. The 802.11ax chipset is on the CPU itself. The card itself is just a companion piece providing signal processor, analog and RF functions.
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cnvi

You would need a card which works in the same slot. But is the total WLAN package (think something with a Broadcom or Atheros chip). Is physically the same size. Plus has the same number of antenna leads (hopefully in the same order). If the laptop is just a cheap 802.11n (2.4Ghz only). It probably doesn't have the correct antenna installed for 802.11ax or ac.

Solution
I suspect you are going to have all kinds of issues. The newer wiif cards use m2 connections and the older ones use the half size pcie cards. So your first issues is getting something that will fit.

Your current card is 1x1 most newer cards are 2x2. This means you do not have enough antenna to use it.

Maybe a USB device will be a better option. Other wise I would buy a very basic dual band 802.11ac card. The antenna you laptop has should work on 2.4 and 5. Using even 1x1 mimo on 802.11ac on 5g should be a lot faster than you are currently using.

Note I would avoid buying any wifi6 things unless you can really use it today. wifi6"e" is soon on the market and it will make all the wifi6 cards obsolete.